Creosote Minimization?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gradwell

Mar 26, 2008
western pa
Here is an interesting comment made to me today concerning creosote that the experts can comment on.

In my travels today, I ran into a minny commune of folks using central Boilers. Four gentlemen were standing around so I stopped to chat with them about their successes burning wood. Though I am working on a Econoburn install, being a novice too wood I still like to talk to anyone I can about burning to learn as much as possible. Even if their equipment is different.

The one statement made that they all seem to have in common is that they all insist on throwing 4 empty alluminum pop (soda) cans into their boiler once a month. The claim is that by doing this they have absolutly no creosote issues. One of the gents has been doing so for 4 years and yet to have any build up.

Could this be true? If so, this may be something for all to try!

sounds like a job for myth busters, ive heard this also. i wonder if he didnt throw in thr pop cans if he would have had build up?

Would beer cans work equally well? After 4 beers, maybe creosote disappears.

Did they happen to mention which brand works best?

Actually, when they explained this solution to me I also laughed. Unfortunatly, they didnt laugh with me, they were as serious as could be. I did take note however that on the outside of the pipe you could still see large amounts of creosote that had oozed over the top. When I asked about that they had no answer for the outside just that the inside was "clean as a whistle"!

Maybe just one of those things that if you try hard enough to believe, then it must be true!!

Status
Not open for further replies.