Creosote on Jotul ash pan door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RED FRONTIER

Feb 26, 2010
Norwich CT
I have a Jotul Oslow and I have been getting a significant amount of creo on the lower ash pan door.
I'm burning 18 month SSS Cherry Maple and Pine, with no hissing or smoke once settled down. The gaskets are all in good shape no leaks and I burn regulary at the 500- 600 mark. This creo looks like black spray foam and is dry and crunchy. My stack gets cleaned once in the spring and has just powder. Window stays perfectly clean just a little dust to clean one a month. Any ideas? Not really a problem just wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Normally this issue would point to an air leak. Since you have checked your gaskets already I would make sure there is no ash behind the pan that can keep the door from closing fully. Also do you ever leave the ash door open to start your fires? That too could be a cause.

Only open to clean ashes out. Will check seal again.. My temps dont go crazy. Thats what makes no sence.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Only open to clean ashes out. Will check seal again.. My temps dont go crazy. Thats what makes no sence.

I would check the moisture content of your wood. Typically wood needs to be seasoned at least a year or more and then protected from rain or snow while still giving it good air flow. It can still have too much moisture without sizzling or cracking. It should at least be under 20% if you have a moisture meter. I'm guessing when the stove is shut down, smoke gets into that area but, because it is under the fire, creosote condenses on it because it's a cooler surface and it never gets hot enough to burn off.

You know, my F400 does build up some gunk on the inside of the door, and I never really gave it much thought up until now. Like you, I only ever open it when I pull the ash pan, and I obsessively check the door handle when I'm burning to make sure it is shut. Like you also, my sweepings get me dry powder, and my glass stays clean too.

I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the embers that fall through the grate and do a slow smolder in the ashes? I don't see how air/smoke could actually circulate down there during operation, and my gasket is tight (at least there's been no change since my first season).

Four years in . . . I don't have this issue with my ash pan door.

I would definitely check the gasket around the ash pan door.

I recall this happening to a minor degree on the Castine. No big deal and it went away completely once I stopped emptying the ash pan. ;)

Reactions: colin.p and Butcher
Thanks for the post.

I have creosote in the rear corner of my ash pan.

I guess that makes one more leaky gasket in my brand new stove!

Stoves that I work on often have creosote on the back of the ashpan door. It's very common, I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.