Creosote or Sticky residue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
I do a full clean on my P61A every 10 days or so..
Lot of ash build up on the walls which I usually just vacuum over..
Decided yesterday to use a paint scraper on the walls.
when I scraped the walls, I have a sticky black residue underneath the ash.
could have built up a while a go and not noticed...
only on the walls but more so the walls in the ash pan area..
My flu and Outside exhaust only ever have light gray ash when I clean them..
no residue on the heat exchanger, burnpot, glass etc so this substance is somewhat minimal for now.
burned 4 tons this winter and only used 2 pellet brands,Energex premiums and HD Stove Chows.
Had a few partial damp bags of pellets this winter but sifted what I could.
could this be due to burning at low temps? few bags of Damp Pellets? Usually only run the P61 around half way...But got the stove in November and did a hell of a lot of exprimenting, changing feed rates, room mode, stove mode etc..for couple months before I settled down with it. lol
Should I get a creosote spray cleaner and spray the walls? or just run the stove at max for a few hours or more or both? wire brush just gums up the bristtles.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to run your stove on a higher setting everyday to help burn off unwanted deposits from the stoves innards… we do it every morning for about 20 minutes. I turn my St Croix up to 4 or 5… This is especially true if you've been running on a low burn...

It's a good idea to run your stove on a higher setting everyday to help burn off unwanted deposits from the stoves innards… we do it every morning for about 20 minutes. I turn my St Croix up to 4 or 5… This is especially true if you've been running on a low burn...
I assume you mean Stove temp#5 .not feed rate 5..
this may sound like a silly question but with having an OAK, especially on the windy side of the house with no other homes, this winter was lot of snow/rain AKA moisture.
could too much moisture coming thru an OAK cause a damp envirornment in the bottom ash pan area?

I have a similar issue. We have not used the stove much in the past few days so I divided to give it a good cleaning. I found a dark goo on the exchanger and the walls. Its been raining all day today and it looks like its getting more noticeable. Its supposed to be cold tomorrow so I may crank it up and attempt to burn it all off. I do think its creasote.

Cranking it up did the trick!!!
Ran it pretty hot on Stove temp most of the evening...
Actually, for a 61k BTU stove, #5 is plenty hot...
Removed the ash pan today and all the damp black sticky grime[say the 5x fast] is gone..
Just lot of whitish ash to vacuum or brush down. Fine by me

Status
Not open for further replies.