Creosote Prevention Products - Who uses them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenr1c

Oct 22, 2006
In Home Depot I see two types. There is a rather expensive log and there are crystals in a plastic container. I am sure they both have catchy names - but these escape me right now. I guess none of these products should replace normal chimney maintenance but are there advantages to using them?

thanks for the advice, Mike

they work on stage 3 creosote, which is a hard glaze. Other then that they dont do much. Nothing , i say NOTHING replaces a sweep. Save you money on a CSL and buy yourself a brush.

I've heard of folks who say they use them, and folks who say they don't/won't use them. But I've yet to read of someone saying (a) they have a recurring creosote problem, and (b) these products clear them up when they use them.

Check the ingredience Most of that stuff containg T.S.P. (tri sodium phosphate). It can be purchased in powder form at your local hardware store ...in bulk for a few dollars.and it works well

My dad uses the CSL A few days before I sweep his chimney. He says it helps but I dont see a huge diffrence.

I used a lot of the anti-creosote liquid in the old pre-EPA stove. It kept the tile lined chimney from become a glazed over nightmare. Essentially it permeated the crud and kept it from getting to stage three. Well, that and sometimes it set off mini chimney fires that flaked the stuff off.

BrotherBart said:
I used a lot of the anti-creosote liquid in the old pre-EPA stove. It kept the tile lined chimney from become a glazed over nightmare. Essentially it permeated the crud and kept it from getting to stage three. Well, that and sometimes it set off mini chimney fires that flaked the stuff off.

YO BB what does your downwind neighbor use to clean his house and car??

interested in knowing if they honestly do help, also weather they are usable in catalyst equipped units , i have always and will continue to recommend against relying totally on these products, i do not know if they are detrimental to catalysts so i have tried to lean customers away from them , mountain put it best , nothing beats a good sweep!

mike esw

Vintage 181 said:
BrotherBart said:

YO BB what does your downwind neighbor use to clean his house and car??

Me and the guy never have liked each other.

Ok I have a good example of their use. My buddy who I helped line his chimney last weekend. 12x12 chimney only 14 feet tall. he was burning an insert. big honkin piece of crap old thing I told him not to buy but he only took me along for muscle. that was 3 years ago. after the first year he had creasote...glaze so thick you couldn't punch a screwdriver thru it. I know cause I tried. he used the csr logs a couple times, and also used the the sticks. he started using the sticks frequently. I had a sweep tell me to have him throw table salt in the fire a couple times a week. he bought a brush after a couple months the glazing was gone He also ran the stove much hotter than he had before. he bought a stove thermomet and found out that he never really got it hot. he was going thru tons wood and not really getting much heat but still getting creasote. this year he went up to sweep and it was in good shape. 3 weeks of burning produced thick glaze. We were able to chip a lot of this off with a screw driver. We swept as best we could, installed the liner and he is now burning with a liner.......he's burnign a refurbished old fisher stove but still with a liner. I do what I can.

earthharvester said:
My dad uses the CSL A few days before I sweep his chimney. He says it helps but I dont see a huge diffrence.

i works for me but try letting it sit for 3 weeks before sweeping.

I use Co-Mate. I am not sure it if does a lot, but if it helps, great, why not? I also have the chimney cleaned and get good report cards on my burning practices when I do. I'm lucky, my dealer gives me the stuff, but still, it's not all that expensive and like I said, my view on it is why not. This stuff doesn't claim to remove all your burned on, caked on, glazed on stuff, it's only claim is that it may help.

I use ACS Anti Creo Soot, I think it helps, but again I don't let my chimney go a long time tween cleanings, my setup is circa 1980, my stove is considered a slammer, you slam it into the fireplace, and light her up. actually it vents into the existing fireplace from a 30x3 flue opening
so I am overly concerned of chimney. I find loose ash most the way up, the highest flue tile sometimes has a shiny coating as thin as paper which i brush down, Careful BB will tell you this stuff is volatile if used as suggested, spraying into the hot flames!

hardwood715 said:
I use ACS Anti Creo Soot, I think it helps, but again I don't let my chimney go a long time tween cleanings, my setup is circa 1980, my stove is considered a slammer, you slam it into the fireplace, and light her up. actually it vents into the existing fireplace from a 30x3 flue opening
so I am overly concerned of chimney. I find loose ash most the way up, the highest flue tile sometimes has a shiny coating as thin as paper which i brush down, Careful BB will tell you this stuff is volatile if used as suggested, spraying into the hot flames!

For sure don't take the top off and sling the dregs into the fire.

i saw this along time ago.. intresting read

original link: chimneysweeponline.com
the stuff below was copied from that web site.

The Chimney Sweep Online Fireplace, Woodstove, Gas Stove and Barbecue Shop

Do Those Chimney Sweeping Logs Really Work?

Q: Lately I've seen two different brands of logs you can buy called "Chimney Sweeping Log" and "Supersweep" that supposedly clean your chimney. How can the logs I'm burning CAUSE creosote buildup in the flue, while these other logs are supposed to REMOVE it? What is so magical about these logs? Or do they even work? If so, is one better than the other?

A: It isn't really the logs that are supposed to do anything, it is the chemicals they're impregnated with, and chemical products that claim to clean or assist in cleaning chimneys are nothing new. In fact, there are actually some chemical products that are used by professional Chimney Sweeps in conjunction with mechanical cleanings. Specifically, in some extreme situations, a chimney can develop third-stage, glaze creosote that is so hard that it cannot be removed by mechanical brushing alone. In these cases, certain liquid chemical catalysts may be sprayed directly onto the glaze to alter its chemical composition, turning it into a brittle or powdery condition so it can be swept out.

From what we've read and observed, the "Chimney Sweeping Log" and "Supersweep" products currently being marketed likely contain some sort of similar chemical catalyst. If they do, here's how they would work: the chemical would be carried up the flue by the rising exhaust gases, where it would deposit on the glaze in dry form and, over the course of several subsequent fires, break it down so it could be swept out.

We have a couple of problems with the marketing of these logs: first, their names are misleading. You might expect a product called The Chimney Sweeping Log or Supersweep to sweep your chimney, or at least perform an equivalent function. The actual claim in the fine print is that the chemical contained might reduce creosote by as much as 60%. Second, we have not found chemical catalysts to be of any use whatsoever on first- or second- stage creosote deposits, which comprise about 90% of the deposits we find in chimneys (glaze deposits are an extremely rare occurance). Third, even if your flue was coated with glaze creosote and the chemical in the chimney sweeping log broke it down as much as 60%, it would still represent a considerable safety hazard until it was physically removed by sweeping.

================================================================================

Vital Points:
Each time you burn wood in your fireplace or woodstove, tar and creosote are formed and over time, will build up on the inside of your chimney. This build-up is highly flammable and can ignite causing a chimney fire. To prevent chimney fires, the fire service has long recommended having your chimney cleaned and inspected annually by a licensed professional. But now, a new product called the “Chimney Sweeping Log” has many citizens wondering whether an annual mechanical cleaning remains necessary.

The manufacturer of the Chimney Sweeping Log claims that the product contains “specially developed minerals” that act to reduce deposits of tar and creosote thus reducing the risk of chimney fires. To use the product, you simply place the log in your fireplace or woodstove and allow it burn for roughly an hour and a half. The product’s website boasts that “the burning of a single Chimney Sweeping Log can reduce build-up by up to 60%”.

Washington Public Fire Educators (WPFE) is concerned about these claims. While we won’t dispute what these fire logs will do, we feel that it’s vital to address what they won’t do. If these logs manage to loosen creosote so it flakes off the flue walls as the advertisements claim, where does that creosote go? It either catches fire as it flakes off and increases the potential for a chimney fire through the intense burning, or it falls to the bottom and collects on the smoke shelf, thus causing a future hazard.

WPFE agrees with the Chimney Safety Institute of America’s statement: “The use of these products alone is not an adequate substitute for mechanical chimney cleaning and inspection because it does not provide for the same level of protection to the chimney system.” (The Chimney Safety Institute of America is a non-profit, educational institution focused on the prevention of chimney and venting hazards.)

WPFE believes that the safest and most effective chimney maintenance is achieved through annual inspections and mechanical sweeping.

The basic task of a chimney sweep is to clean chimneys. The cleaning process includes 1) removing the hazard of accumulated and highly combustible creosote produced by burning wood and wood products, 2) eliminating the build-up of soot in coal- and oil-fired systems and 3) removing bird and animal nests, leaves and other debris that may create a hazard by blocking the flow of emissions from a home heating appliance. In addition to the cleaning, chimney inspections often reveal hidden problems within the structure that could be potentially dangerous such as breaks or breaches in the flue.

Mechanical sweeping of chimneys not only removes layers of creosote from surfaces, it also eliminates the resulting debris from the chimney, fireplace, or woodstove. Many chimneys are not constructed in a straight path from the firebox to the outside. If chimney-cleaning products perform as claimed and cause debris in the chimney to fall, that debris must still be removed from the smoke shelf, baffle, catalytic combustor, or offset in order to ensure a safe and properly functioning chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.