Creosote Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The external chimney pipe damper is the key damper. Some fire departments who perform the inspections in various localities, especially in Mass want the damper installed for what they call safety. I can't be sure if it is in the code but I have one. As I previously stated, it helps in extremely high winds. It is not my intent to be an authority on this subject but merely to express some views. They get quirky here in New England. I also have a place in Maine and to my knowledge I believe they call for it there. I have one on the chimney pipe in my hunting lodge. On that mountain we get high winds as well and it does help when adjustments need to be made.

Been at this for a long time and have never heard of any locality requiring a key damper.

Lots of Massers and Mainers here. Still interested in a locality that requires one.

"Referring to the 6" pipe, many cities and towns don't require the damper when there are air controls on the stove"

For my edification, please tell me any locality that requires a key damper in a stove pipe? And what an "external chimney pipe damper" is?

Any locality that adopts NFPA 211 requires installations to conform to manufacturers installation instructions. In this case, it's in the manual. :)

That would be a damper not inside the stove. I think. Must be Northeast lingo.

You WIN BART! I am not having this conversation with you. I merely was trying to contribute. What I posted is what I know, that 's all. Thought I'd look at the forums tonight and make some comments, that's ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been at this for a long time too. A real long time.

Any locality that adopts NFPA 211 requires installations to conform to manufacturers installation instructions. In this case, it's in the manual. :)

That would be a damper not inside the stove. I think. Must be Northeast lingo.

Not arguing. Just need to know. We have fire chiefs and firemen from Massachusetts and Maine as regulars on the site and have never seen any mention of that as a requirement. And most modern stove manuals, if they don't say don't use one at all, say to only use one in cases of excessive draft.

I just want the facts on this site. And want to know them myself.

#5 at bottom upload_2014-1-12_23-26-47.png

upload_2014-1-12_23-19-49.png

Last edited:
"When the doors are open.". Got it.

Thanks Coaly.

Sure, how else would you make smoke come into the house with the doors open? ;lol

Reactions: BrotherBart
The stove has been working great after we redid the pipes. And if we burn with the doors open, the smoke has been going up just fine with my weird baffle plate. Now I just need to find a screen......any ideas where I can find one?

It would take the same screen as the full size Insert, Grandma and Goldilocks. This is the one you want. There are other styles for other years that won't work.
CamFan had some, (12-2011) so find a post of his, click on his member name in avatar and "start a conversation" to private message him for one. They go for well over $100 used on eBay when they rarely come up. His are new in box.

Screen eBay 12-6-11.jpg The spring handles shown in bag twist on and handles rotate to lock on stove front.

Reactions: Blackwings29
The stove has been working great after we redid the pipes. And if we burn with the doors open, the smoke has been going up just fine with my weird baffle plate. Now I just need to find a screen......any ideas where I can find one?
What kind of stove is it? Picture??

Grandma with flat top doors; post #15 in this thread.

The creosol is so bad though that it drips out. I took the pipes apart, and the creosol is about 3/8 inch thick, and I can pull it out in about 4 inch lengths and its really glossy. I'm hopping if I have the baffle removed I wont have this issue. Any other suggestions?
Thank you so much. New to this forum, Fisher stoves, and wood burning.

Please show a pic of the creosol. 3/8" is awfully thick. Dripping and gooey creosol Sounds hot! :ZZZ

Please show a pic of the creosol. 3/8" is awfully thick. Dripping and gooey creosol Sounds hot! :ZZZ

3/8" is about the normal cleaning time when running as cool as the flue had been with the original set up. (granted it's nice to keep below 1/8") 1 inch is "awfully thick" but not unheard of. He has since reduced the pipe size eliminating the expanding gasses that was causing much of the cooling. He is aware he may have a thermal siphon type chimney that is not recommended and will cause excessive formation.

Dripping is condensation formed by much to cool exhaust temperatures. (below 250*f)

It would take the same screen as the full size Insert, Grandma and Goldilocks. This is the one you want. There are other styles for other years that won't work.
CamFan had some, (12-2011) so find a post of his, click on his member name in avatar and "start a conversation" to private message him for one. They go for well over $100 used on eBay when they rarely come up. His are new in box.

View attachment 125435 The spring handles shown in bag twist on and handles rotate to lock on stove front.

Thank you so much. I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.