Creosote Recycling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Anyone just throw theirs back on the fire?

Not ash of course, but creosote swept out of the chimney.

I started doing that a while ago, throw a small scoop into the furnace firebox just before I close the door, on a half-full-or-so fire. Seems to burn pretty darned good.

What little I get drops into the stove when I clean the chimney and never leaves the stove, the next load of wood gets burned right on top of it.

hmmmm, you got me thinking! never tried it.

When I first got my stove it was full of it. Chipped/scraped it with a putty knife into the bottom of the box and threw a load of pine on top. Cleaned the stove out good.

Easy way to get rid of it. If you have a chimney fire it burns so why not throw it back?

I use it as starter usually it ignites and burns hot. I use a dixie cup and pour some in about half then tepee wood around it works well. I suppose its good that you can only do that a couple times and your out of creosote.

I usually get about 3 gallons or so when I clean my 30' chimney. Always just sits there in a bucket until I get around to throwing it out somewhere. Not sure why I didn't try this before.

Gotta be careful though to not throw too much in, and close the door right away. The experiment continues....

It's more like burning coal, burns hot with black smoke.
High energy fuel.
OK to burn, but pay attention if burning allot at one time, it will get hot.

I don't collect and store my creosote. By the time I'm done sweeping the flues and cleaning out the stoves and dealing with that evil feather-light black stuff trying to get everywhere, I just want it contained and disposed of. I've got plenty of kindling and Super Cedars. Rick

Carbon_Liberator said:
What little I get drops into the stove when I clean the chimney and never leaves the stove, the next load of wood gets burned right on top of it.

Yeah same here however I usually just get less than a cup dry powdery stuff which I'm not sure even burns so it probably just gets taken out with the ashes.

fossil said:
I don't collect and store my creosote. By the time I'm done sweeping the flues and cleaning out the stoves and dealing with that evil feather-light black stuff trying to get everywhere, I just want it contained and disposed of. I've got plenty of kindling and Super Cedars. Rick

But it would be collected in something while sweeping - right? I realize it's not for everybody, and all situations are different, but it just occurred to me that dumping out a bucket of creosote somewhere was dumping free heat (although not a lot) - since it burns so good. Better up in flames in my firebox that sitting in a pile on the ground somewhere - experiences may vary though.

There is energy to be had by eating the peanut shells after enjoying the peanut too. :)

pen

Since creosote is basically concentrated/condensed wood, I wonder if it would be any good for cooking with? My chimney cap is a creosote factory, and every time I remove it my hands smell like BBQ for a while. I don't know what it is about my cap, but dang...pipe can be completely clean but the cap gunks up quick.

Since I sweep outside any creosote I have just falls to the ground where it magically disappears in the Spring . . . which is too bad . . . I was thinking of trying to build some creosote statuettes of Backwoods Savage to go along with my wood ash statuettes of Backwoods Savage. :)

firefighterjake said:
Since I sweep outside any creosote I have just falls to the ground where it magically disappears in the Spring . . . which is too bad . . . I was thinking of trying to build some creosote statuettes of Backwoods Savage to go along with my wood ash statuettes of Backwoods Savage. :)

You and AP could work together on that, although I don't think they would fare so well in the kiln.

Status
Not open for further replies.