creosote removal logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Rutland ones, not logs
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=3

I throw one in about once a week, it is piece of mind for me. I am sure the "vets" here would say you shouldn't need one if you burn the stove properly with good seasoned wood. I agree 100% but again for piece of mind and most importantly because I get only 2 cups of black powder every year when I clean my chimney in the spring, I am sticking with the same "system" as I have done the last 2 years. It works for me and you can get them at the big stores (not going to mention names :) ) for about 1.50 each

I use live ferrets. One about every third day during peak burning season. Keeps the stovepipe and chimney squeaky clean. Rick

Not goin' anywhere, JFK...I've already been kicked out of everyplace else. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
I use live ferrets. One about every third day during peak burning season. Keeps the stovepipe and chimney squeaky clean. Rick

What size of ferrets work the best? Do you have them start at the top and work their way down-- or do you start a good fire and let them loose from the bottom? :)

Ferrets or squirrels, both work equally well. Just open the damper all the way, open the stove door, throw animal in, close door. Within seconds you'll hear the now hairless critter screaming up the chimney... When the screaming stops, your chimney is clean.

I tried using the mother in law, but her fat azz wouldn't fit.

Sorry, murry, it's just what happens here sometimes (this inanety). I have no first hand experience with any of the anti-creosote products to offer you. I just burn good seasoned wood, and I tend to burn a bit hot. I have thermometers on both my stovepipes just above the couplings to the stoves, and I pay attention to them. Rick

murry just use stuff like those logs if you discover that you are getting excess deposits, read:eek:ver 1/4", in the flue. Then use them to dry and loosen the stuff so it can be swept out of the pipe.

What stove and chimney setup do you have?

Regardless of whether these creosote reducing logs provide any benefit, if they loosen creosote and cause it to fall down my chimney into my wood stove, the result may be to plug or reduce the flue exit on my wood stove -- both of which are highly undesirable and maybe dangerous. Our wood stove has been our primary heat source for 18 years, never once used this or a similar product, and only clean the chimney once per year. I think these are a gimic in search of gullible, careless or paranoid wood burning consumers.

Even more important, why would any person heating his or her home with wood choose to burn improperly seasoned wood with its attendant safety risks? I guess homes of very high value and lives of spouses and children are worth losing to save a few bucks on wood.

I too have heard of chimneys with buildup that shed a large piece of creosote that blocked the flue. Big sheet peels loose and just leans across. I cannot confirm.

I worry about whether there would be any corrosion in my stove from it long-term. I think it's just TSP in there- which is a salt.

Those logs probably help some but I know for a fact when my parents bought thier home there was a bad glaze on their terricotta and the chimney guy used a chemical (may be the same) and a drill with some brush or chains to remove the glaze. I never used it and have burned in the terricotta in my chimney for 5-6 years until I got the new stove and liner. 3 years and still no problems.

Ha, My parents had their chimney chain whipped... broke/cracked/chipped a bunch of tiles and did a poor job of cleaning up the creosote... chain whip = bad in my book

Kinda what I would think but I just put a new motor cap on it and tuck pointed it, only the top 4 feet gets shiney and it looked like new. Guess its one of those things where you better know what you are doing, and thiers was only 15 years old at the time. Now it is 38 years old and still looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.