Creosote Remover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Does anyone use Rutland Creosote remover during burning season and if so how do you like it. Below is from there website.

This granular material is activated by heat and modifies creosote into a brushable ash. Makes the fire burn cleaner improving the efficiency of the woodstove or fireplace insert. A scoopful is applied to a good bed of coals or when preparing the fire. Safe to use on all types of chimneys.

Zap

I was given some by a stove shop . . . the rep said it works well and they like it. Truthfully, when I think of it I'll use some of the spray in my stove, but to be honest I try to use seasoned wood and burn hot so I end up with very little creosote anyways . . . and the stuff that I do get is powder . . . none of the sticky tar-like stuff.

Can't beat a good brush.

I used a similar product, Anti-Creo-Sote, by the gallon with my pre-EPA stove and tile lined chimney. I have found no use whatsoever for it with any of the three EPA stoves and liners in the chimneys and appropriate chimney for the small stove in the little warehouse.

And as I understand it, the jury is still out on the effect of the stuff on stainless steel chimneys corrosion wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.