Creosote smell already?:(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the masonry chimney is on the exterior of the house waterproofing the exterior bricks can stop a lot of the smell. The bricks could be absorbing moisture, making that wet creosote smell a lot worse.
Thanks

If the masonry chimney is on the exterior of the house waterproofing the exterior bricks can stop a lot of the smell. The bricks could be absorbing moisture, making that wet creosote smell a lot worse.
Thanks
It is very possible the smell is being made worse by moisture but if it really is limestone like she said i doubt sealing will do any good if there is water coming in it is extremely unlikely that it is soaking through the limestone it would be coming from the top which may need a crown or top plate through the mortar which would mean re pointing or from moist air from inside which would be fixed by a blockoff plate. I have seen very few cases where waterproofing was needed or would make much of any difference. Although we just did a sandstone chimney today that really needed it but sandstone is very different

I have an insert but no liner. For the first few years my living room smelled like creosote. Since then i have left the last burn ashes in the stove all summer and that seems to absorb the odor unless its raining or extremely humid. I dont really mind it but my girlfriend does!

I have an insert but no liner. For the first few years my living room smelled like creosote. Since then i have left the last burn ashes in the stove all summer and that seems to absorb the odor unless its raining or extremely humid. I dont really mind it but my girlfriend does!
You really should consider a liner it is not very safe to burn an insert without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.