Creosote Smell Leaking From BioMass 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

churchillrow

May 21, 2008
Northern Nova Scotia
This is the beginning of the my first full season heating with the Biomass and everything has been good aside from a strong Creosote smell that seeps from the Boiler a few minutes after I light the fire continues for the bulk of the burn. I added hight temp Silicon Gasket material to the door seals to ensure that they were not the problem and although that seemed to help initially the odour now is getting worse with each burn. I have yet to open up the back of the boiler but I think that will be my next step. Are their places i should look for leaks? Is this a problem others have dealt with on the BioMass? Since the Boiler is in my basement I am hesitant to start fires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The easiest way to find exactly where your leak is coming from is to turn off all the lights and go around the boiler with a flashlight while its running. With the lights out smoke leaks are very easy to find with a flashlight.

Find leak, apply high temp RTV, drink a beer. Not necessarily in that order.

The nose test seems to indicate that the leaks are under the insulating panels. Is is safe/possible to run the boiler with these removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.