creosote sweeping log and cat stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phishheadmi

Oct 1, 2008
Northern MI
I have a quick question for the experts,

I feel kind of stupid doing this, but a few friends have been telling me I should burn a CSL from time to time in my Catalytic Encore model 2190. I decided I'd burn one this morning as my fire had died down to almost nothing over the night and I had the morning off to be there while it burned. I read all the instructions on the paper wrapper, popped it into the stove and lit it up. As I was throwing the box away, here comes the dumb part, I noticed a little flier stuck in the bottom...this was of course the "fine print" page which specified not to engage the cat for one to two weeks after burning! It also said continuous fires would burn the residue out quicker. My question is this: with a near constant burn, how long do I really need to wait before engaging the cat? I've burned most of the day today (fire went out while I was at work this afternoon) and all night tonight at a constant temp of over 600 degrees. I noticed after burning the CSL that most of the inside of the stove had an inky black residue I assume was the chemicals they're talking about...this was gone this afternoon and I've been burning a hot fire ever since. Any idea of when it's safe to engage the cat without having to worry about poisoning it?

Thanks,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.