Creosote sweeping log question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjag1124

Nov 8, 2014
Bay Area
Hi All,

A newb here to this site. So my in-laws bought a creosote sweeping log and have never used the fireplace in its lifetime at the house. Without reading instructions we used the log on our very first burn which in the instructions state not to use on first burn ever.

By using the log on our first burn, would this cause any harm for future burns? will the chemicals in this log affect or start a fire since it didnt stick to anything in the fireplace?

Thanks for all your advice in advance and please do not be so harsh, this is my first time using one of these logs.

The only thing I see in their instructions is not to burn the chimney sweeping log as your first fire of the season.

I'm taking it that this is the first fire the fireplace has ever seen?

In general, my guess is they don't want someone to use this for the first fire of the season in an event that there is something blocking the chimney flue (like a birds nest, fallen creosote from the season before, there's a downdraft in the chimney, etc). Should it happen that this is used for the first fire and the chimney is a restriction for some reason, then the chemicals from this thing burning would be pouring into the house, instead of up the flue.

That's my best guess anyway. In general, I can't see it causing any harm but it wouldn't hurt to call the company up and ask for yourself why they say that on the package and explain what you did.

If you do and get a good response, please share it back in this thread, as this is a good question I've never seen before.

Welcome to the site,

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.