Creosote tar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
I have a bluestone paver as a cap over my chimney. The single-wall liner is in a tile-lined masonary chimney. The distance between the top of the liner and the paver is about six inches. Is this enough clearance? I've noticed black on the underside of the bluestone, and what appears to be drips of black tar? Is this bad gooey creosote? The wood I've been buring the last three weeks is underseasoned, I am sure. It hisses quite a bit. But I try to burn a really hot fire with small splits once a day for 45mins or so. Does this help? Also, do any of the anti-creosote products on the market really work? Thanks!

Six inches under it should be OK. That is plenty of opening.

I think you can consider a certain amount of creosote to be normal. That slate is very cold in relation to the smoke coming out the pipe, so the smoke will condense on it. I would not worry much about a few drips or light coating there, it is what is (or is not) in the pipe that will be more important.

An older stove such as yours is likely to make creosote almost no matter what...unless you burn it hot most or all of time. A hot fire once a day might keep the bottom part clean BUT it can also ignite a bad buildup if you happen to have one!

Status
Not open for further replies.