creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjotul118

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
I have old jotul 118 and after 3 months of burning I noticed it wasn't getting hot (above 300). After taking apart I found an inch of soot had settled on top plate above burn box. Also tee and 90 were 3/4 full of crusty creosote. After pulling stove pipe from flue tile I noticed that where pipe enters vertical section of 8x8 flue tile there are sap like globs of creosote attached to sides of tile. Haven't been on roof yet but I'm assuming that it is full all the way up. Will brushing get rid of this? Or how else do I clean it.

Time to start brushing for certain. How long as it been since it was last swept? How much wood have you put through it in that time?

Sounds like you caught a time bomb.

Any pics you can post of what you are seeing may help you get better advice as well.

From what it sounds, if I found this, I think I'd sweep the chimney, and if it looked like there were stubborn areas I couldn't get clean, I'd then try and use a "creosote sweeping log" to help dry out the last of the deposits, then sweep again.

Good luck,

pen

Thanks for the info. I've burned about two cords of wood that I thought was dry enough but have since found out it wasn't. I plan on sweeping new years day and will try to post pics. Thx again

Thanks for the info. I've burned about two cords of wood that I thought was dry enough but have since found out it wasn't. I plan on sweeping new years day and will try to post pics. Thx again

Happens to the best folks. Just glad you are getting on the maintenance. When using an old stove and a masonry chimney with terracotta liner, I used to sweep monthly (but honestly never had the chimney get as full as you described).

Once I switched to a modern stove, and learned about how to truly get wood seasoned, I went down to cleaning every 2 months. Once I put a SS liner in the chimney, and am using that good wood and the new stove, I sweep around New Years, and then again in the later in March (every 3 months), but really, I get so little creosote now, I could honestly probably get away with just once per season but mine is easy to clean so I figure it doesn't hurt to give the brush some exercise.

You are on the right track, well done.

pen

Thank you for the Help. I plan to line this chimney in spring if I can scrounge up the money. Also would like to update to newer version of this stove. I installed a wood coal combo federal airtight in basement to help heat rest of house. It is lined all the way and I'm amazed how well it starts and burns compared to the older jotul. Just having primary air through ash drawer is a major upgrade. When in catalyst mode the stove cranks and keeps rest of house around 70.

if you got tar like creosote in that chimney a brush is not going to do a thing. you might need to call a pro to get that out of there. i've tried to brush tar like creosote and it did nothing. if you are not going to call a pro i agree with pen about using the csl log but that will take some time to work. in my experience 4 weeks to dry the tar stuff so that you can brush it and it will fall off. i use the log every year as a last fire and sweep it 4 weeks to just before the start of the next burning season. and sometimes there is still some spots that don't come clean. if you run a brush down it today like you said you see if it is shiny it won't come off. good luck

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.