Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reneroman77

Dec 6, 2016
West Caldwell
New stove and I thought I had seasoned firewood. Turns out I burned approx 15 splits that were not seasoned-all ash. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, a couple wonky fires does not a creosote problem make. Clean your glass, toss whatever splits like that you've got left off to the side, and save 'em for next year.

Reactions: reneroman77
Check the cap/top of the chimney if possible.

You should be checking the flue regularly to see if it needs to be swept no matter what you burn.

Green wood doesn't have creosote in it; green wood uses a lot of energy to boil off water, so it burns cooler, which means lower flue temperatures. Creosote is (in this case) wood tar that didn't get burned off, and subsequently condensed on a cool surface. The cooler your burn, the more creosote you are getting.

If your green wood went onto a roaring fire and burned hot, you probably didn't incur any buildup. (But inspect your flue regularly anyway.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote. (Did you know that you probably have a bottle of wood creosote in your kitchen? Thanks, Wikipedia. :/. )

Last edited:
Great advice, but make sure to check the top of the flue/chimney as this is where the majority of creosote deposits itself, due to cooling more from being further from the stove and being exposed to the outdoors.

We all are burning wood that creosotes up the chimney. Besides the condition of the wood, maintaining a hot chimney is key to reducing creosote.