creosote ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Burning in an OWB. Lotta creosote build up with some water. Is this caused by the moisture in the wood or a smoldering ? Will it become less as I burn drier wood?

I am sure it is completely related to burning wet wood. How is your wood supply? Green wood is 30-40+% moisture so there would be alot od steam and condensation, especially if you are trying to idle a boiler for a long time becuase of warm temps this time of year.

smokingout said:
Burning in an OWB. Lotta creosote build up with some water. Is this caused by the moisture in the wood or a smoldering ? Will it become less as I burn drier wood?

A Hardy or any other OWB for that matter, will always have some creosote formation in the firebox. It's the nature of the design. When you are using the combustion chamber as your primary heat exchanger area also, temperatures will be dropped to the point that condensation/creosote happen. Can't be any other way.
Now.........if you have moisture/condensation in the firebox or in some cases even running down into the ash pan, you need to get some seasoned wood. Yes you can burn green wood in a typical OWB but condensation and creosote are the price you pay, along with reduced efficiency.

Burn dry wood.
Keep the water temp up to at least 170+

Status
Not open for further replies.