Creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor

Jun 11, 2012
I had heard someone say that Sassafras wood reduces creosote in chimneys and was wondering if there is any truth to that?

Nothing special about Sassafras, so far as I know. If the Sassafras is properly seasoned (dry), there should be no problem with undue creosote deposition in the flue. Of course, exactly the same statement can be made about every other species of wood. Rick

Reactions: Realstone
I never heard that sassafrass reduces creosote. Have heard that burning aluminum beers cans (empty), potato skins, TSP (trisodium phosphate) and Chimney Sweeping Logs will reduce creosote -- none of which I believe. So many posts here say that DRY wood fuel, HOT fires done through a heatable flue is your best bet to avoid creosote. Our experience supports the dry wood- hot burn - insulated flue theory.

Sassafras . . . the magical wood.

Think I'll stick with my well seasoned wood and burning at the proper temps (i.e. not too hot and not too cool) . . . four years in and no chimney fires . . . seems to be working for me.

If you have a lot of creosote in the chimney and build a really large fire with lots of dry sassafras, you might ignite the creosote and in that way reduce the amount in your chimney. Other than that I can imagine what Sassafras would do to reduce creosote.

Come on guys..................I need a pill........just not for creosote............but because our TV advertisers say I can't get it "up" anylonger!!!!\

So "sassafras is not the latest "clean chimney" cure-all!!!! Where will it end!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.