Cresol after one month of burning ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
What's it mean ? Is my fire not hot enough ? My oak is seasoned(no hissing) for over a year and I'm confused. Normally softwoods soot up the pipe but this is a first for me. I went up to check seal on top plate and check cap and found it. I ended up resealing top plate because when I first did it it was a little cold out and with Jan. thaw figured it couldn't hurt.

Not hot enough, choking air down too early &./or wet wood, or a combo of either or all.

What are we talking about here? Flakes in the cap? Plugged cap? Flakes in the pipe? Glaze in the pipe?

Flakes with a thin coating. Well I guess that's what happens when you stove shop sucks. Never told me temp. to run at except whats on magnetic thermometer and according to that the operating temp is too high. Had to call stove manufacturer to find out operating temp is 600-800 on high burn. No, my liner isn't insulated. As far as my wood goes I've never has a problem with oak that has aired out for a year but I guess there's always a first.

my fires are only 400 to 500 and i have hardly any cresol. its just been to warm here to have a fire any hotter.

I believe the thermos are for stack temps. For stove/insert use you have to find the sweet spot and see where it is on the thermo at that temp.
slight powdery coating & flakes are normal. Alot of that is prolly fly ash.

Yes, that's what the manufacturer told me. NOT my lying to my face, make up stories as they go so we don't have to refund or give out actual customer service stove shop. It happened today within 10 min. of me and my wife talking to one of their "managers". I'm one of the most laid back type of people until you try to SCREW me out of money or do wrong buy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.