Cresote Chimney Sweep Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Does anyone have any experince with the Creosote Sweep Logs? Do they really work on Wood stove pipes?

Based on reading here they don't work and give a false sense of security.
I wouldn't be able to sleep well not knowing, for sure, what the inside of my chimney looked like.

Still better to burn good seasoned wood.

Ive had much better success with the Anti Creosote spray. Use it to lighten up the glaze before sweeping and use it weekly to help keep the chimney cleaner. I never saw those logs make much of a difference

I know a lot of people absolutely hate these things and flame those that like them, but I use one a month in the burning season and it keeps me from having to sweep my chimney. The results aren't immediate, if you are going to try one, give it some time to work. This is my opinion of my experience...I check my chimney frequently and have a straight shot with a mirror from cleanout to outside and do notice a difference with double wall 6" pipe.

matt701 said:
I know a lot of people absolutely hate these things and flame those that like them, but I use one a month in the burning season and it keeps me from having to sweep my chimney. The results aren't immediate, if you are going to try one, give it some time to work. This is my opinion of my experience...I check my chimney frequently and have a straight shot with a mirror from cleanout to outside and do notice a difference with double wall 6" pipe.

agree on takes time. i use one at the end of the burning season as the last fire. give it 4 weeks then brush. definitely makes sweeping easier. i used the granular that you throw in the fire 2 times a week. it was suppose to do the same job. and if using all the time like the directions say i found that it loosened up enough creosote that it started a chimney fire easier than not using it and just using the log at the end of the season.

just my exp. with it

I throw one in every year and really don't know that it makes a bit of difference. Might be just as helpful to just throw the $15 in the firebox and save the trip to Lowes. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.