CRITERIA TO QUALIFY FOR PELLET PIG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aburress1223

Jan 10, 2011
Virginia
I am on my third year of burning pellets and the guys on this forum have been a great help in understanding cleaning/operating a pellet stove. I have one question at this point, what is the criteria for being a pellet pig?? I concerned that I may never qualify. I have unloaded 4 tons of AWF in the garage this fall (all I have room for and keep the cars indoors) If this won't qualify me I have been considering putting 3-4 tons on the breezeway and leaving them wrapped until needed. I think I have acquired an obsession I am constantly thinking of pellets, the best deals, how many it will take for a season, what burns the best, where to store them. Pellet stoves seem to still be in their early stages of popularity in Virginia but gaining in popularity, Bought another ton yesterday at Southern States Co-Op, they seemed to think they were selling a lot more this season. I think I am doing well in earning my pellet club degree considering the resources I have to work with compared to you guys in the Northeast. I have one last question, Is being a pellet pig a matter of tons in possession or state of mind??

Sounds like you qualify.

I'll let the hierarchy decide.

AW1223 said:
................. I have one last question, Is being a pellet pig a matter of tons in possession or state of mind??

Both!

Looks like you should sneak in this year. Has there been a Frost in Virginia yet?

We have had several frosts this fall. temps night before last around 20. Cold for this time of year in this area.

Well let's see 3 or more tons check, before first frost check, still looking for pellets check.

By the power granted by eernest4 our Grand Poobah and other entities I hereby award AW1223 his oinks.

Welcome to the club.

Please add the following to your signature.

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

Go forth in your state educating the uninformed of the blissfulness of pellet warmth and the enjoyment to be had rooting in the pellet piles at the local stores.

Congatulations on you new status

Be careful with how much you hoard
remeber the old saying
Pigs get fat.......... HOGS get slaughtered

Thanks Smokey so proud and HONORED !!!!

here we go-

remnants of the first ton (17 bags burned) and tonight's delivery 4 ton-

001-4.jpg
003-1.jpg

and the all important dedicated pellet cave- tomorrow's task is filling it. carpet piece for a slide on the steep basement stairs.
008.jpg
002-1.jpg

AW1223 said:

You know your a pellet pig when your wife starts yelling at you for loading up the back seat of the car with pellets
every time you go shopping, just so you can try a different brand.

You know your a pellet pig when your wife yells at you for using her meat thermometer to measure heat output.

doghouse said:
A dry basement. Wow, if only.

yep. bone dry.
we don't even need a sump pump here up high in the old part of town. :)

Well,well a night time delivery even.

Me thinks (I actually do that sometimes, contrary to what some folks may think or say).

You have more than the minimum number of pellets to qualify, I already know you have been rooting around here like a true oinker would, now if you promise to get those pellets into your pellet bunker.

The first frost requirement is hereby waived as is the beater abuse requirement.

I'm delighted to award you your oinks.

“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

Now go forth and educate the fine folks in your new hometown about the pleasures of pellet warmth.

SmokeyTheBear said:
The first frost requirement is hereby waived as is the beater abuse requirement.......

Seeing that maine always has frost from what I hear, Me thinx that would be a loop hole in our rules. ;-)

Welcome aboard and don't for get the dues collector! Oink Oink!

schmeg said:
AW1223 said:

You know your a pellet pig when your wife starts yelling at you for loading up the back seat of the car with pellets
every time you go shopping, just so you can try a different brand.

You know your a pellet pig when your wife yells at you for using her meat thermometer to measure heat output.

Last month I loaded 20 bags in the back of my little Toyota Matrix. I definitely tried to avoid any potholes on the way home.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Well,well a night time delivery even.

Me thinks (I actually do that sometimes, contrary to what some folks may think or say).

You have more than the minimum number of pellets to qualify, I already know you have been rooting around here like a true oinker would, now if you promise to get those pellets into your pellet bunker.

The first frost requirement is hereby waived as is the beater abuse requirement.

I'm delighted to award you your oinks.

Now go forth and educate the fine folks in your new hometown about the pleasures of pellet warmth.

they are in the bunker. i just finished. today is the first day the stove isn't getting cleaned.

i'll come back (very) soon and post the pics.

well. it took me a little while. but i perfected my system so that next time there won't be any casualties. (didn't do too bad this time all things considered.)

landing pad. had to add the blue carpet after catching that edge with a bag.
006-1.jpg
007-1.jpg
011-1.jpg

014.jpg
004-1.jpg

had another bag open up. didn't lose much though (you can be sure those on the floor are gonna burn ;) )

015-2.jpg

four in the basement. one on the front porch (enclosed) and a pallet waiting for more :)

021.jpg

Your "pellet bunker" is an add-on to your house, correct? Also, did you have help moving all those pellets?

Big OINK to AW1223, and a big OINK to St_Earl. Welcome to the pellet pig club, where we insane err unstable err pellet lovers reside. Knew I'd get it. ;-)

doh! thought i was editing and re-posted insted.

thanks, dwo6. great to be here.

nice work AW1223

doghouse. technically it is an addition. the back bedroom upstairs was added after the house was built. but the basement is contiguous and the same square footage as the house itself 925 sq. feet.

nope. no help.
that's why the stove didn't get it's usual everyday cleaning today.
i just pulled the cleaning rod on the firepot and grabbed a beer.;)

St_Earl said:
thanks, dwo6. great to be here.

nice work AW1223

doghouse. technically it is an addition. the back bedroom upstairs was added after the house was built. but the basement is contiguous and the same square footage as the house itself 925 sq. feet.

nope. no help.
that's why the stove didn't get it's usual everyday cleaning today.
i just pulled the cleaning rod on the firepot and grabbed a beer.;)

I like the stair slide saves allot of steps, pardon the pun :lol:
That's what I did after getting pellets where they belonged, grab a beer or three and sit back and admire. A really good feeling. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.