Critiques of Blaze King Stoves...Exist ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the ultra-long burn times as a bonus side effect of having a thermostat. The primary advantage of the thermostat is that it automatically increases air as the fire is waning, to keep heat output even through the burn.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than having the house warm all day while we're away at work, and then cooling in the hour or two just before we get home. That's how life was with my Jotuls. The house was always warmest when we were away at work or upstairs in bed, and cold again when we woke up or got home.

I can understand why that is critical with your house. My house is insulated and air sealed well for what it is. However, it is 2x4 stick built. R13 insulation in the walls only gets you so far when its -2 with a wind chill of -20. You are not far from me so I'm sure you see some of that too. My stove never disappoints and the house is always warm even after 10-12 hour work days with nobody else home.

With all the enthusiasm about the line of Blaze Kings, almost all positive except for some very minor complaints such as the ash pan, how about some critical user reviews.
What about the stoves don't you like ?
Why ? We're deciding on a cat stove. Woodstock's Hybrid Progress is at the top of the list now. Customer service and quality are mandatory. Blaze Kings are not common in northern New England, cost more than Woodstock, and dealers are far off.
So, some critical reviews from users in snow country with at least a winter under their belt ?
I only have one minor gripe with the new BK parlor,when you open the door halfway to reload, the door wants to swing all the way open and it stops flush against the stoves front putting a small shiny area where the door edge hits the stove front.I ned to figure out something to hold it in place i'm thinking maybe a magnet to stop it flying fully open any other suggestions?

I don't know if that would be considered the stoves fault, or the hearths fault?

Can it not be levelled or shimmed some to stop the swing?

I said I kid I kid... I was just playing.

Why can't we get an IS with a BK thermostat ? That's what I want!

Woodstock isn't going for the longest, steadiest burn though. They are going for the cleanest.

I'd still love to see a combination. An ISBK hybrid hybrid!

It is worth noting that not all hybrid wood stoves are equal. While a couple are both clean burning and efficient, there are some newer hybrids that are not as clean or as efficient as straight catalytic models, right out of the gate.

Hybrid may be the buzz word that gets folks excited and as a company that built the first hybrid, we know first hand the real benefits, so long as efficiency and clean burning are both achieved.

BUT WHAT REALLY COUNTS, IS THE DESIGNS HAVE TO BE PROVEN TO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE BOTH CLEAN BURNING AND REMAINING EFFICIENT OVER 5-10-15 PLUS YEARS.

Durable & predictable performance is the most important requirement for us.

I don't know if that would be considered the stoves fault, or the hearths fault?

Can it not be levelled or shimmed some to stop the swing?
It's the sloped front plate, not the hearth. I have a King, but I just open it all the way and do not allow it to swing on its own.

It is worth noting that not all hybrid wood stoves are equal. While a couple are both clean burning and efficient, there are some newer hybrids that are not as clean or as efficient as straight catalytic models, right out of the gate.

Hybrid may be the buzz word that gets folks excited and as a company that built the first hybrid, we know first hand the real benefits, so long as efficiency and clean burning are both achieved.

BUT WHAT REALLY COUNTS, IS THE DESIGNS HAVE TO BE PROVEN TO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE BOTH CLEAN BURNING AND REMAINING EFFICIENT OVER 5-10-15 PLUS YEARS.

Durable & predictable performance is the most important requirement for us.
My hybrid stove self destructed. I traded it's carcass in for a Blaze King Ashford and never looked back! I even sent it back to Lopi on the BK skid! I really got a kick out of that!

It's the sloped front plate, not the hearth. I have a King, but I just open it all the way and do not allow it to swing on its own.

@BKVP -- thanks for hanging out here a bit & keeping your therm turned down low! It makes for an interesting thread. If I were currently in the market for a stove, I would have to take a serious look at the BK's. A stove top with cooking ability, however, is a must for us where we have some serious & long power outages on occasion.
Some real pluses:
--the thermostat control & possible extended burn times (spreading those btu's out)
--the clearances = very good, close tolerances
--the hearth needing only to be "non-combustible"
--it is possible to clean w/o removing the stovepipe (though not nearly as convenient as the PE's)
--enclosed steel firebox (a lot of problems are solved right there! Fewer gaskets, sealers, & parts)
--better longevity of the cat compared to the "early" days
--local (USA) manufacture

carry on

Reactions: BKVP and webby3650
The Ashford trivet top lifts right off, though it's a solid heavy chunk of metal. The only problem is what do you do with a hot top until it cools down? If the hearth is large then this isn't a big deal.

The Ashford trivet top lifts right off, though it's a solid heavy chunk of metal. The only problem is what do you do with a hot top until it cools down? If the hearth is large then this isn't a big deal.

Good to know. You could probably cook on the trivet when a good fire going. The trivet on the T5 will actually keep things boiling &/or simmering, depending on how you place the pan/pot & how hot the fire. Its a lot easier to get it going good right down on the cook-top, however.

Chris,if you open it all the way you still get the shiny spot where it wears away the paint,that's what I want to eliminate.Thanks It's minor now but I could see it becoming more problematic over time.

Chris,if you open it all the way you still get the shiny spot where it wears away the paint,that's what I want to eliminate.Thanks It's minor now but I could see it becoming more problematic over time.
I know the issue well. I flash (rattle can) the line once every 2-3 years. My King is metallic brown and I have a rattle can in our utility room. I need to touch up plenty of marks, like this past summer when the grandkids thought the top of the stove looked like a nice evelated perch to launch Hot Wheels! Or my wife puts "stuff" on top of the stove.

PM me and I can give you more info on how to do this.....

Woody, Stick your head inside one.
The nearest dealer is about three hrs. away, and I don't like to stick my neck out that far as a rule. Webby is supposed to bring me a loaner, though. ;lol
Interior baffles protect outter steel.
I guess you are referring to the top of the stove where the cat is? I could see the sides of the fire box from the inside, right?
The bypass is 1/2" steel. That sir is the weak point in most cat stoves.
The bypass door? Actually, I would like to get a closer look at that bypass gasket retainer assembly. Is that underneath the bypass outlet hole in the top of the fire box?
Agreed, everything around the bypass exhaust exit is going to get hammered, cat or non-cat, since many people apparently leave the air wide open when trying to get the stove up to temp on a new load, and have roaring flames going through that area. :oops:
If I were ever to jump ship and go to Blaze King I would consider the King. It's a basement install
At some point you might need the bigger firebox downstairs to reduce the number of trips you have to make.

IMG_0155.JPG
The nearest dealer is about three hrs. away, and I don't like to stick my neck out that far as a rule. Webby is supposed to bring me a loaner, though. ;lol
I guess you are referring to the top of the stove where the cat is? I could see the sides of the fire box from the inside, right? Partially...there are baffle plates inside on sides and rear (models vary slightly, again based upon need in design)
The bypass door? Yes, it's 1/2 steel. Any less...well.Actually, I would like to get a closer look at that bypass gasket retainer assembly. The assembly is well designed to protect the inside, more difficult to repair firebox dome. Is that underneath the bypass outlet hole in the top of the fire box? Yes
Agreed, everything around the bypass exhaust exit is going to get hammered, cat or non-cat, since many people apparently leave the air wide open when trying to get the stove up to temp on a new load, and have roaring flames going through that area. :oops:
At some point you might need the bigger firebox downstairs to reduce the number of trips you have to make.

@BKVP -- thanks for hanging out here a bit & keeping your therm turned down low! It makes for an interesting thread. If I were currently in the market for a stove, I would have to take a serious look at the BK's.

Agreed. This thread would be a manufacturer's nightmare if the manufacturer was not handling issues and was screwing customers. Instead we see BK here responding to and explaining the reasons behind the critiques. That is how you make a potentially negative thread into a positive thread for the manufacturer.

Warning, when you are reaching your hand into the pedestal base of an ultra to vacuum out ashes from an overfilled ash pan be careful about the sharp metal edges inside. I bled all over the place after slicing off a chunk of my hand in there!

The only exposed metal in the firebox is the back wall which is actually double wall since the intake air preheat manifold is on the back. I honestly worry more about the metal I can't see behind the bricks with the corrosive nature of creosote and the large amounts of firebox creosote that the BKs make. Meh, not an issue. Don't worry about the weight.

Things I don't like about my Princess insert: my chimney cap screen gets so clogged by mid-season that my stove stops working properly, the original latch was so heavily worn and I had to buy a newly designed one, needing to take the stove out of the fireplace to adjust the bypass damper, the lack of stove thermometer, that the glass won't stay clean, and the high initial cost because of their selling practices.

Having said that, I count this purchase as one of the better house purchases I've ever made. I love my stove and wouldn't trade it for any other on the market today- I thought everyone was exaggerating about burn times and I didn't believe it until I experienced it. I'll spare everyone a list of good stuff, there are a million threads like that...

Thanks, that's pretty cool right there! :cool: That's a Sirocco 30.1 then?
I imagine that having the entire air wash feed tube inside the top of the fire box is gonna make the air wash air as hot as possible, resulting in cleaner glass than if it had the feed channel running up vertically in the front corners of the box like the Buck 91 I had.
I had assumed that the optional "convection deck" was something that would be fastened just to the top of the stove, but in the cut-away it looks like it curves down the back of the stove as well. It looks a little different that what I'm seeing on the website...
So what am I seeing ahead of the cat housing, is that just the cat screen (or baffle) angled forward of what its position would be in a functioning stove?

Thanks to those who gave their user experiences with BK stoves. And you who made ASSumptions about posters' and my motivations, forget it.()
Hearth owes BKVP's honesty and professionalism. Thx.

Butt, hey, Ashful from Philly- - with all those BK and Jotul stoves in your city/suburb, and with open fireplaces, why the H haven't you put some effort and $$$ into sealing up the place ? Would be a better payback in all ways. Have you had a pro energy audit done ?;hm

Thanks to those who gave their user experiences with BK stoves. And you who made ASSumptions about posters' and my motivations, forget it.()
Hearth owes BKVP's honesty and professionalism. Thx.

Butt, hey, Ashful from Philly- - with all those BK and Jotul stoves in your city/suburb, and with open fireplaces, why the H haven't you put some effort and $$$ into sealing up the place ? Would be a better payback in all ways. Have you had a pro energy audit done ?;hm

Any closer to a decision?

hey, Ashful from Philly- - with all those BK and Jotul stoves in your city/suburb, and with open fireplaces....haven't you put some effort and $$$ into sealing up the place ? Would be a better payback in all ways. Have you had a pro energy audit done ?;hm
I think he shot the exterior with a FLIR gun. There's only so much you can do to tighten up and insulate a house that was built a couple of centuries ago. <> But he likes his house, and doesn't care much if the boiler has to pick up the slack. More of a hobby burner, really; He's not like me, in a life-and-death struggle for survival! ;)

Thanks, that's pretty cool right there! :cool: That's a Sirocco 30.1 then?
I imagine that having the entire air wash feed tube inside the top of the fire box is gonna make the air wash air as hot as possible, resulting in cleaner glass than if it had the feed channel running up vertically in the front corners of the box like the Buck 91 I had.
I had assumed that the optional "convection deck" was something that would be fastened just to the top of the stove, but in the cut-away it looks like it curves down the back of the stove as well. It looks a little different that what I'm seeing on the website...
So what am I seeing ahead of the cat housing, is that just the cat screen (or baffle) angled forward of what its position would be in a functioning stove?

The fans attach to the rear of the convection deck. The flame shield, in front of the cat, plays many rolls. Preheating air in the tubes, not to help glass, but avoid thermal shock to cat. If room air comes directly to the cat, it will go through it's 9 lives in a couple of seasons.

Any closer to a decision?

Never said that there was any decision for now. Just getting the ducks in a line for next Spring.
Now if BK or Woodstock made a thermostatic cat WITH either top (preferred) or side load we'd be in heaven.
Are you here Jotul , PE, or Morso techs ? Can we have more competition ( " more cowbells please" ? ) ?
Thx for asking.

Reactions: tarzan
Never said that there was any decision for now. Just getting the ducks in a line for next Spring.
Now if BK or Woodstock made a thermostatic cat WITH either top (preferred) or side load we'd be in heaven.
Are you here Jotul , PE, or Morso techs ? Can we have more competition ( " more cowbells please" ? ) ?
Thx for asking.
Sadly they are not here. There are only a few that check in on occasion, perhaps a few that are hiding in the shadows and BK heading it up, being proactive and fixing issues as they arise rather than ignore the issues. When I was having trouble with my Lopi Cape Cod I was talking to a factory representative, he actually laughed out loud when I mentioned Hearth.com... said it was just a bunch of complainers that didn't know what they were talking about. Shame on them, shame on me for buying into their hybrid stove!

Just getting the ducks in a line for next Spring.
So, how much sq.ft. are you wanting to heat, how is your insulation and air-sealing, open layout, stove located at the center of the house, etc, etc?
When I was having trouble with my Lopi Cape Cod I was talking to a factory representative, he actually laughed out loud when I mentioned Hearth.com... said it was just a bunch of complainers that didn't know what they were talking about
Did you tell 'em not to judge everyone, based on just my posts? ;lol
shame on me for buying into their hybrid stove!
Hey, you saved us from buying into it...thanks. ;) They are working OK for some, I guess, but I wonder if they made some improvements based on early issues? Seems like these companies don't want to make changes on the fly, once they release a model. I wonder how the Rockport, the smaller version, is, or if they made any changes based on experience with the Cod? What brands does your shop carry?

So, how much sq.ft. are you wanting to heat, how is your insulation and air-sealing, open layout, stove located at the center of the house, etc, etc?
Did you tell 'em not to judge everyone, based on just my posts? ;lol
Hey, you saved us from buying into it...thanks. ;) They are working OK for some, I guess, but I wonder if they made some improvements based on early issues? Seems like these companies don't want to make changes on the fly, once they release a model. I wonder how the Rockport, the smaller version, is, or if they made any changes based on experience with the Cod? What brands does your shop carry?
Just about everything but PE and Regency.
I talked to the engineers of the Cod at the trade show. They said that's the first they've ever heard of any issues at all with the stove. Ya, me and everyone else on this site. I know dang good and well they've all got warping going on, just most don't notice or maybe done use it. I bought a stove to heat with, 24/7. It wasn't up to the task...

I think more manufacturers should step up and discuss/answer for their products. I think it's highly commendable that BKVP is so accessible and helpful on this forum. A big plus for blaze King owners I think and a big kudos to Blaze King for being willing to discuss their products and help their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.