critters in your wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I have been pleased with the wood I scrounged, split, and stacked earlier this spring. Despite all the rain, it's bleached out gray and looks like drift wood. I'm thinking I'll have some great firewood for this season (5 cords) - compared to last years bought wood that was still fairly green. Plus - it didn't cost me a dime!

I got to looking at my wood closer (i've yet to get a meter) and I noticed that only the wood showing has bleached out - and I started turning over all the top pieces to see how they were looking (like flipping pancakes). Turned one flat piece over - only to have a nice snake right by my hand! I'm sure it was harmless - but a surprize. I swung the log at it and it jumped off the top of the stack - right at me, and then slithered under the pallets below. So I guess I'll need to be careful when I move the stack closer to the house and cover it this fall. Not sure what kind of snake it was. You all be careful. I've got a bunch of ground hogs too - that have gone under the pallets and turned the whole row into a condo. And chipmunks.

I have so many sources for wood and not enough time to get it all. I have begun gathering for the following year. I am gonna get about 6 more pickup loads full and start splitting again. Most is cherry , ash, maple. Cherry seems to be the most abundant. It's everywhere. A new housing developement down the road from me is clearing lots like crazy. I get all I can with their blessing. That one site is gonna heat my home for 2 or more years. Another guy cleared a bunch of trees for a bill board site and that wood's been cut and is laying on the ground since early spring. I hope to get all of that too.

Ja, lots of snakes in my wood. Find them sunning on top and find their molted skin when I take down the pile. Also find all kinds of mouse and squirrel nesting material.

index.php

That looks just like the one I put my hand on.

I never thought about yellow jackets either, I bet I've got some bee's in mine too. Didn't think it would be hazardous - other then the wear and tear on my back. Around the first few weeks of september, I guess I'll move the pile up on the front porch, back porch, and garage to get it closer to the stove and out of the weather.

I really enjoy the cutting, splitting, and burning. But the part that sucks the most is all the lifting and moving. Even with wheels, it's still work.

I have the Chipmunk projects goin on in my wood pile. Was watching 2 of them right before I clicked onto this site.

Yellow jackets in wood pile xyz queens are the only ones that winter over rest die off here in WI. I just look over the splits a bit and wackem when I find one. As I stage the wood around a bit it doesn't get to far out of hand, but I keep a can of starter or hornet spray handy.

4 cats = no critters other than a few bugs who will no doubt help me heat my house this winter . . . they just don't know it yet.

I've had some chippers who thought my wood stacks looked like a great place to play House . . . but my cats showed them the error of their ways . . . unfortunately, since I kind of like the little buggers.

I moved our woodpile this weekend to make room for a shed. I found a garter snake on top...right under the cover. I also found a bunch of salamanders with really small, almost non existent legs and a few decent sized toads. This is up in VT...and we have a stream in our backyard.

There a ground hog in one of my pile. My Papillon goes nuts trying to find it. It's to big for him to
get but he likes to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.