Cross stacking ends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I stacked against trees hoping for some stability, but ended up restacking sections of the stacks two or three times as the trees move with the winds. I've already decided to use cross stacks at the end next time around without trees! Under my lean-to roof I use cross stacks on the end, but also use a fence post so it doesn't end up all over the yard. You learn as you go, which is probably why Dennis is so successful with his method.

I find the I get more squared splits from the bigger rounds. I split them into slabs, and then break up the slabs.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe the next time I do some splitting I'll have to take some pictures with each step to show how I do the splitting. Now if I can remember to do that..... The memory banks need some re-charging.

A step by step guide to splitting sounds perfect for those of use who have trouble keeping our stacks tidy......

I suspect that chapter comes before "seasoning your wood for at least 3 years" in the BackSav firewood bible!

We'll remind you when the weather cools off a little ;-)

Since my stacks end up more than 9 feet tall, the crib ends need to be done very carefully.

100_0296.JPG

That said, I've grown tired of the tedious work cribbing the ends and have modified my shed with "slots" to help keep them plumb.
100_0358.JPG

Wow! 9 feet, that looks good.

amateur cutter said:
Okay seriously fellas, where do you find those straight grained phone poles that make such perfect splits?

They using ash. I guarantee their stacks wouldn't be so pretty if they were trying to do that with elm. ;-)

I tried cribbing with elm. I now use T posts.

Oh Wendell, you had to post that after we used up our elm. So maybe this coming winter I'll have to cut some elm and use them for end pieces. Yes, it can be done!

Oh, I know it can be done. I just got tired of dealing with it. ;-)

Ya, I know you split a bunch of it. You should be in good shape with your fuel now and a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.