Crossflow fan squealing in Jamestown J-1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike85

Dec 13, 2012
Boston,MA
My crossflow fan in my stove is squealing at certain speeds. It's the 2nd one I put in since owning the stove for 3 years, this one is less than a year old. Jamestown doesn't have any plans to get any new motors in since I am the only one that needs one at the moment, and I know they have to buy a lot of 50 at a time. There is no oil ports on this fan, and I have removed some bearings and oiled but it didn't help. They sent me a fan that is used in the older model J-1000's but it was very under powered and barely blew out any heat. Can anyone help with cross referencing this fan for me or pointing me in the right direction of an aftermarket part I can buy. Thanks

Attachments

• 07EEH-Crossflow-Fan-for-J11.jpg
    07EEH-Crossflow-Fan-for-J11.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 510
What is the warranty on that replacement part that's less than a year old? What happened to the concept of service? They sell the stove but are unwilling to make parts available?

What brand blower is it?

Don't know about bedside manner......, but thats a Fasco axial flow. Goggle up Fasco fans, I know WWGrainger stocks them You can go buy phsical dimension and CFM delivery. I believe Fasco also has a website but they won't sell except for commercial application.

Additionally, what you might try doing is pulling the end housings and putting a bit of petroleum jelly on the outboard sleeve bearings. That will help alot.

Reactions: Lake Girl
What is the warranty on that replacement part that's less than a year old? What happened to the concept of service? They sell the stove but are unwilling to make parts available?

What brand blower is it?

Jamestown will send a new one to me because it's less than a year old, but they don't have any in stock, which is really aggravating to be honest. They also don't know when they are getting motors in since I'm the only one on the list at the moment.

Additionally, what you might try doing is pulling the end housings and putting a bit of petroleum jelly on the outboard sleeve bearings. That will help alot.

I put motor oil on the bearings on the original motor that came with the stove and it didn't help, maybe I will try the jelly. Thanks

Don't know about bedside manner......, but thats a Fasco axial flow. Goggle up Fasco fans, I know WWGrainger stocks them You can go buy phsical dimension and CFM delivery. I believe Fasco also has a website but they won't sell except for commercial application.

I'll check it out thanks for the info.

Apparently they have a manufacturing facility in MN ... presumably they have motors there? Sounds like BS ... I hope you have that in writing. I'm curious how long you will be waiting...

Edit: Contact Jamestown head office Thunder Bay ... (807) 285-5688

Sidecar, is that the same fan they use in some of the Harmans?

Last edited:
Apparently they have a manufacturing facility in MN ... presumably they have motors there? Sounds like BS ... I hope you have that in writing. I'm curious how long you will be waiting...

Edit: Contact Jamestown head office Thunder Bay ... (807) 285-5688

Sidecar, is that the same fan they use in some of the Harmans?

Every manufacturer uses off the shelf parts. Fasco is a big supplier. The only thing the OEM's do is fab the shells and internals in a weld shop. All the components are sourced outside and I suspect the shell and HX parts are also contracted out. I do that for my business as well. Why invest in a 3/4 million dollar machine when you can get open time on someone else's machine.

Also keep in mind that the drives (with the exception of the combustion air blower are all similar) in design so keeping one extra drive on hand will fit 99% of every application. Thats what I do. I have one drive in a box on the shelf. If a drive goes down, I swap one out and rebuild the failed drive.

Reactions: Mike85
I figured that they were supplied stock from another manufacturer. While that helps him in the short-term to replace the fan, it still doesn't address the lack of service he is getting. 50 fan order seems excessive for a dealer...

I figured that they were supplied stock from another manufacturer. While that helps him in the short-term to replace the fan, it still doesn't address the lack of service he is getting. 50 fan order seems excessive for a dealer...
I agree, could take a long time for them to get to 50. What's the customer supposed to do in the meantime?

You don't really think that Ford or GM ot Honda built that car you drive do you? They didn't. In reality it's a conglomeration of parts made by other manufacturers and assembled by the automaker. Same with stoves. If a manufacturer had to produce all the parts and build the product, you could not afford to buy one.

I'd say the dealer called the OEM and the OEM said we need a 50 fan order to receive a substantial discount (read more profit) and the dealer told the end user 'he' needs a 50 fan order when in reality it's the manufacturer, not the dealer. All he has to do is call Grainger and order one (dealer or end user).

Problem with that is it's gonna be list, so no one makes any money. If the dealer was straight up, he'd call Grainger, order one give it to the customer and back charge the OEM.

It's called servce after the sale and it all about doing business in an upstanding manner.

Off topic a bit but I've driven Aveos for years ... Can you say rebranded Suzuki? I know many parts are jobbed out. My brother in law runs a line to make lumbar supports.

Your last couple of comments sums it up ... for the good of his brand name, you would think he would be willing to make it right and loose a bit on one fan.

Off topic a bit but I've driven Aveos for years ... Can you say rebranded Suzuki? I know many parts are jobbed out. My brother in law runs a line to make lumbar supports.

Your last couple of comments sums it up ... for the good of his brand name, you would think he would be willing to make it right and loose a bit on one fan.

Probably works for Lear then.....

One thing about stove dealers, they don't see repeat business from one customer (unless the dealer sells pellets or corn) so it's a sale and thats it, which probably explains the cavalier attitude a bit.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I sent op info to help him out.Sidecar is wrong,a lot of mfg have pantent rights,and the products are slightly or vastly different than what you see on the net.Thelin is a great example.Not all stoves use off the shelf parts.

At one point it was Lear, know Shukra....

I'm a good guesser... Suppliers change names like underwear and I believe they are Fiat-Chrysler affiliated

I sent op info to help him out.Sidecar is wrong,a lot of mfg have pantent rights,and the products are slightly or vastly different than what you see on the net.Thelin is a great example.Not all stoves use off the shelf parts.

I believe you mean 'patent rights'. I agree that the appliance might be patented or patent apllied for, but the internal components are sourced from existing component suppliers, Fasco, being just one of many..... In this particular scenario, it's a Fasco axial flow motor/fan assembly. I know about patents, I hold 3 myself for design executions unrelated to this forum.

Touching on patent rights and patent infringement, I'm of the opinion that a patent is only as good as the paper it's written on and not much more. Patent rights are infringed on every day by third world countries (China especially). What makes a secure patent idea secure is the ability to produce the idea commercially, at a price point below what the competition can make a similar item for. Thats what secures a patented idea.

If I had the desire, I too could build solid fuel appliances in the fabrication/machine shop that I own, utilizing variants of all the good ideas that existing designs incorporate. I have no desire to do that simply because the market is already saturated with manufacturers and it's a cyclical market goverened entirely by the cost of domestic fuel sources and public perception regarding that cost.

You need to understand that I'm a manufacturer in another arena unrelated to this venue. I get to play everyday and insure that my employees retain their jobs and are contributing members of society.

So, in principle, I agree but in execution, I don't.

Every manufacturer uses off the shelf parts. Fasco is a big supplier. The only thing the OEM's do is fab the shells and internals in a weld shop. All the components are sourced outside and I suspect the shell and HX parts are also contracted out. I do that for my business as well. Why invest in a 3/4 million dollar machine when you can get open time on someone else's machine.

Also keep in mind that the drives (with the exception of the combustion air blower are all similar) in design so keeping one extra drive on hand will fit 99% of every application. Thats what I do. I have one drive in a box on the shelf. If a drive goes down, I swap one out and rebuild the failed drive.

Thanks for the info. I know the fans they were using the company went out of business, so they are now getting the motors from Baymotor Products in Michigan. I called them and they said they couldn't help because it wasn't one of their motors. They are the ones who told me about the 50 order, Jamestown said they didn't know how long it would be before they got them in, but that's the reason I'm sure.

I believe you mean 'patent rights'. I agree that the appliance might be patented or patent apllied for, but the internal components are sourced from existing component suppliers, Fasco, being just one of many..... In this particular scenario, it's a Fasco axial flow motor/fan assembly. I know about patents, I hold 3 myself for design executions unrelated to this forum.

Touching on patent rights and patent infringement, I'm of the opinion that a patent is only as good as the paper it's written on and not much more. Patent rights are infringed on every day by third world countries (China especially). What makes a secure patent idea secure is the ability to produce the idea commercially, at a price point below what the competition can make a similar item for. Thats what secures a patented idea.

If I had the desire, I too could build solid fuel appliances in the fabrication/machine shop that I own, utilizing variants of all the good ideas that existing designs incorporate. I have no desire to do that simply because the market is already saturated with manufacturers and it's a cyclical market goverened entirely by the cost of domestic fuel sources and public perception regarding that cost.

You need to understand that I'm a manufacturer in another arena unrelated to this venue. I get to play everyday and insure that my employees retain their jobs and are contributing members of society.

So, in principle, I agree but in execution, I don't.
What a line of chit you put out,and the mods here did nothing about it.I spoke the truth,you put out "possibles"You did this(in another frame/lifetime/field of of work) and want to relate it to the pellet stove?Why has not the mod jumped in?

What a line of chit you put out,and the mods here did nothing about it.I spoke the truth,you put out "possibles"You did this(in another frame/lifetime/field of of work) and want to relate it to the pellet stove?Why has not the mod jumped in?

Too much turkey for Thanksgiving perhapse?

What I stated is absolutely true, that is Fasco produces fans for many manufacturers of not just pellet stoves but residential furnaces and industrial applications, nor 'chit' there that I can see. I never stated that appliance manufacturers don't have designs unique to their particular units. What I said and I'll repeat is,all manufacturers use off the shelf assemblies (made by other companies) in their manufacture of (their) products. Nothing more.

I certainly don't see that as anything of contention on your part or anyone else's.

If you diusagree with that premise, by all means report me. Thats your perrogative but don't accuse me as being full of 'chit' because I'm not.

I have and do manufacture a product line in another venue not related to this or this forum but being a manufacturer and owner, I have a good grasp on aftermarket parts and how that pertains to the building of any product, I do the same thing.

I know it's been a while, but figured I'd give an update. Jamestown came through and found the OEM fan that I needed, sent it to me and all is good with the stove now. Thanks again for the help.

Glad to hear you got the fan ... should still try to see if you can cross reference to another fan JIC. How long of a wait?

Good idea Lakegirl, at least I have piece of mind while doing it and I'm not under the gun looking.

My crossflow fan in my stove is squealing at certain speeds. It's the 2nd one I put in since owning the stove for 3 years, this one is less than a year old. Jamestown doesn't have any plans to get any new motors in since I am the only one that needs one at the moment, and I know they have to buy a lot of 50 at a time. There is no oil ports on this fan, and I have removed some bearings and oiled but it didn't help. They sent me a fan that is used in the older model J-1000's but it was very under powered and barely blew out any heat. Can anyone help with cross referencing this fan for me or pointing me in the right direction of an aftermarket part I can buy. Thanks
What an awful time I've been having with my J1000 Convection Fan. I had the squeaking you described. I disassembled and re-assembled 10's of times to no avail last year. Finally, I noticed the rubber grommets holding the fans to the motor shaft were MELTING. The motor conducts heat to these shafts, and the fan manufacturer didn't choose the right grommets...so they melt, squeak, and eventually slip. Jamestown (Nado) was not helpful or interested in the fact that I identified the design flaw in their motor supplier (he did offer 30% off new fan but all I wanted was grommets). I have done all I can to stop this slipping, my current solution is very thin double sided tape around n the shaft (like that for window plastic insulation), and press the fan back on to the shaft...sloppy, cumbersome and eventually this fails and has to be re-applied. If you open the doors of your stove and grab both fans, and gently try to spin them opposingly, do they slip? If so...think about what they would do when the motor tries to spin them at high speed....slip.

SO glad I am not the only one with this issue...but sorry at the same time.

Reactions: Mike85
Status
Not open for further replies.