Crossing the bridge for the first time with minimal load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
Figured I would try crossing the bridge with just a small load of wood to begin with. I was quite nervous but I guess the 6x6 with the supports underneath will work after all. Now I just have to worry about flood water washing it down stream.

Attachments

• wood3.JPG
    wood3.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 992
That is a nice bridge, by golly.

An alternative to the 6x6s would have been to drop a couple of decent hardwood trees (black locust would be best, but any good hardwood would do) and use them for stringers instead. If you are nervous about it with a load of wood, you could probably retrofit something like that. If you're seriously worried about it washing away, chain it to a nearby tree.

Dylan said:
Nice lookin' bridge....kudos.

It DOES look like lowland. I'll bet that the maple referred to in your next post, is RED maple. I didn't realize that beech liked that sort of environment, ie, wet feet. Here in Connecticut, it seems as tho one is more likely to find it high and, comparatively, dry.

Dylan the beech was indeed further up on the trail which is high and dry. I'm not sure what species of maple I have on the property, but it burns nicely.

Eric Johnson said:
That is a nice bridge, by golly.

An alternative to the 6x6s would have been to drop a couple of decent hardwood trees (black locust would be best, but any good hardwood would do) and use them for stringers instead. If you are nervous about it with a load of wood, you could probably retrofit something like that. If you're seriously worried about it washing away, chain it to a nearby tree.

I had considered dropping some hardwood trees for the main beams but I wasn't sure how long they would hold up in that moist environment. All the lumber used was pressure treated. I was nervous crossing the bridge because I have never built one before, I didn't want to take a swim at the end of January :eek:) I plan on chaining or cabling the main beams to the nearest large tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.