cruddy cement job?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I just got home from the dealer after i picked up my jotul oslo. I opened it in the bed of the truck to check it out. No blemishes outside of the device. I opened the door and saw what looks like cement along the back of the secondary tubes. Is this to be expected or should i call the dealer?

Attachments

• 20150115_171856.jpg
    20150115_171856.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 20150115_171926.jpg
    20150115_171926.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 192
It is a little ugly but should not cause a problem and you wont see it after a few fires

Reactions: phatdonkey
Thats what i was thinking. There are 2 other spots around where the feet attach that i can see cement has oozed out a bit. Not incredibly unsightly. It is cement right?

Better some ooze, showing proper coverage, then nothing leaving question if it is completely covered and sealed.

Last edited:
Yeah it is furnace cement or something like it i am not sure what exactly jotul uses

Reactions: phatdonkey
Right on. I figured it was nothing but doesnt hurt to ask. Cant wait till my brothers get here and we get this beauty running.

Normal . . . just had a smidge too much . . . better to have too much than too little.

Burn it for a few months and you'll forget it's even there.

Reactions: Highbeam
My old hearthstone had the cement spooged all over too. Good stuff. The excess may small off as you use it.

Better some ooze, showing proper coverage, then nothing leaving question is it is completely covered and sealed.
Yeah, what's up with that gap at the right end of the seam? Is that bead of cement just to keep smoke from going behind the baffle?

Yeah, what's up with that gap at the right end of the seam? Is that bead of cement just to keep smoke from going behind the baffle?
I think the cement is more for sealing the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.