Cruising stove top temps for a cast iron stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmiser

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2011
Garnet Valley, PA
I have the Hearthstone Clydesdale insert that I have been having some trouble keeping the temps down for some reason. Hearthstone says 600 max cruise temp at stove top. This thing wants between 600 and 700 naturally even when mixing dry and less dry. I'm thinking since this is a cast iron stove, Hearthstone is being a little conservative. I'm considering running it more where it likes to run. Also, with my thermocouple being at the hottest point in the stove top, I find that as soon as I move away from that hot spot a few inches, the temp is a good 50-100 deg lower. My thinking is the stove as a whole isn't nearly as hot as that hot spot.

What stove top temps are most of you regularly cruising at ... cast iron models?

BTW the only thing that is a concern is the soapstone fire brick. They just sit in there against the walls so if one was to crack it really wouldn't be much of a problem. In other words this is a full cast iron stove with soapstone fire brick.

Hey 'Miser:

I shoot for more than 500, and less than 600. Most efficient heating -- determined thru 12 seasons with this unit -- seems to be about 525. (I use a Homesaver spring thermometer. And cheap spring thermometers suck, regarding consistency from one unit to the next. But it provides a reference.)

When our stove is set to "critical mass", it'll climb right thru 600 too. But, GOSH, it starts eating wood above 600. It gives the longest useful-heat-life fires by setting for mid 500s, BY FAR. I've talked to knowlegable folks who say an occasional 700 won't hurt anything, and that appears to be the true. (We've broken that limit by a bit, just a couple of times.) We start cutting the primary air (in increments) soon after lighting the fire. We generally set the primary air as low as we can, while still getting about 50% primary and 50% secondary with a big, mature (say, 45 minutes-old) fire.

It's a non-cat unit.

Cheers.

Thanks Dexter. I also like the mid 500 mark. I find that 600 puts it into a threshold where it will start climbing beyond or stop and settle out. All depends on the wood mix. I feel like a cook developing a recipe of ingredients. The only problem is the wood supply is ever changing. I really would like more control over the air so I don't have to worry as much about the wood mix. Often I can't get the fire down to a low burn without throwing in a greeny.

As a comparison, burning the same wood assortment, I have no problem controlling the fire in the Equinox.

woodmiser said:
Thanks Dexter. I also like the mid 500 mark. I find that 600 puts it into a threshold where it will start climbing beyond or stop and settle out. All depends on the wood mix. I feel like a cook developing a recipe of ingredients. The only problem is the wood supply is ever changing. I really would like more control over the air so I don't have to worry as much about the wood mix. Often I can't get the fire down to a low burn without throwing in a greeny.

As a comparison, burning the same wood assortment, I have no problem controlling the fire in the Equinox.

I don't have any experience with inserts. But with the three cast iron free standing stoves I have run I keep them between 550-700° when running them hot. When I do a small load in the Vigilant, the stove will run 400-550°.

I have, unintentionally, pegged the needle on the stove top thermometer a couple of times the first two years running the Vigilant.

Thanks BB. I think I'll be in the same range too. I just hate it when I load up for the night and have to worry about it. Now that I have the thermocouple and the alarm I at least get a nasty warning tone if she goes to 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.