Cruising time question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBurner

Feb 23, 2013
Romeo, MI
I have a Quad 5100 ACC Insert. I see threads about posters talking about their stoves cruising at 400, 500 or 600 degrees.

The highest temp I can get my insert to is 500 degrees with my thermometer sitting on top of the unit. How long should I expect to be able to keep my insert at 500, or even 400 degrees?

Another question would be what would be the cause of only being able to keep it above 400 for 2 hours or less?

Thanks in advance.

Also I burn only well seasoned Ash--12 to 18%.

Well I can only assume you load the box completely full. If not, then maybe that would help extend your cruse time. I load each time too 100% .

With ash you should be able to get great temperatures on any stove. So I guess the only question would be in how you are getting the moisture measuerments. The correct way is to resplit it and immediately take a reading from the center of the split. It also matters on how you push the pins in; in the same grain of the wood for example. You can even get different readings indoors vs outdoors. So remember that the MM is not exact but a generality. No better way than leaving it to Mother Nature and giving her 2-3 years to dry the wood; yes, even ash.

Thx Backwoods

I do re-split and then measure.

Is 2 hours normal or should I expect to be above 400 degrees for longer?

How large is the fitrebox on that stove?

I think you should be able to keep your temps up longer given the size of that fire box. I burn with the nc 30 which has a slightly larger for a box and I'm able to keep temps above 400 degrees for about 3 to 4 hours depending on the load.

Tell me about how you burn. What is your air set at when you are burning a load? Is your air mostly or all the way down?

Might also want to see if it is insulated. My installers just put the insert in and didn't insulate. I didn't know any better having had wood stoves for 30 plus years. After I insulated mine with Roxul, it seemed to hit those temps much easier and fast. As soon as the weather breaks, i ll be doing a blockoff plate!

Something is definitely off.... with a 3cu.ft. firebox stuffed full of good dry you should be getting much longer burn times... more like 6 to 10 hours of usable heat output Id expect (not all at peak temps of course). and it should easily be able to run up to 600+ with the air wide open.

How is your draft, have you had any trouble getting a fire established? Are you getting good secondary flames around the burn tubes? Have you experimented with turning up the air control, or maybe even turning it down- which may keep more heat in the stove and not going up the stack.

Other thought I had is thermometer placement. I looked at the 5100 manual and in the cutaway view it looks like there is a primary air manifold for the airwash under the front couple inches of the top plate. If you have the thermo here it might read a little cooler - try pushing it farther back up against the surround.

Bagelboy

I know for a fact my insert does not have insulation or a block off plate. My installer said the plate was not necessary as the fireplace I had in there before (a Majestic) had a somewhat smaller opening for the damper--take that for what it's worth.

Another question I had is if you can not feel any significant warmth above the insert--do you need to insulate and put a block off plate on??

jharkin

My draft is real good or maybe too good. 26-28 feet high. I have no trouble whatsoever getting a fire started.

I feel like I am getting secondary flames--but then again I'm real new to this. If I close my primary air all the way usually for over night burns I end up with a ton of coals. If I keep it open all the way I get high temps but I have to reload more often.

Thanks guys for your help!! Oh how I would love to get longer burns out of this insert.

I'm no expert, but I also have a high chimney, 30 foot. I think the insulation keeps the heat from radiating away from the box and the blockoff plate, which I haven't installed yet, will keep heat from flying up the chimney.

Thx Backwoods

I do re-split and then measure.

Is 2 hours normal or should I expect to be above 400 degrees for longer?

Absolutely not. With that size firebox you should easily get 4-5 hours above 500 or more! And yes, a blockoff plate will help a lot.

Not many stoves will run right with the draft closed. I still like to give it a little draft. On our stove the settings are zero to 4. Our normal setting is just a bit under one or .75.

Backwoods

Your help is much appreciated. How difficult is it to install a block off plate?

I see you also live in MI. I am in SE MI. Would you happen to know of anyone to recommend an install of a block off plate?

I also know that my liner is not insulated--how much does that affect my situation?

Just remember that a blockoff plate is to keep the heat in the house rather than letting it go up the chimney. Sorry I don't know anyone in that area as we are quite some distance apart. We live west of Chesaning. The liner not being insulate can certainly add to creosote buildup and also if it is insulated, your draft will be much better which in turn makes the fire better which gives you more useable heat in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.