Crushed stone or raised floor for wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't know what others pay, but I pay about $450-525 delivered for an entire truckload. Thats for washed #2.
I'm glad you brought up exactly what 'crushed stone' is. I have a feeling some folks think it means crush r run or asphalt dust. I am referring to no. 8 stone. It's essentially a smaller version of 57s.

Last edited:
Going to have to agree with the concrete pad. Most sheds on here seem to be of the 8' by 12-16' variety. At 4" thick, you are only looking at 1.75 yards for 8x16. Around here $110/yd delivered.

If you can get the cement truck in there...poured is a great way to go. But there is prep with that as well. Need compact stone to get a good base first.

Just and FYI..if you are ever building a garage or a home, have an extra small pad ready to pour. Concrete trucks always have a little extra and will pour the rest for free.

When you start pouring a pad doesn't that usually constitute a building you need to pay taxes on in most areas?

Around here, they are going to tax you on anything that isn't movable, so might as well have a concrete floor. Being it is just a woodshed/cold storage, I didn't bother with compacted stone. I just compacted the dirt that was there, put plastic down for vapor, and went with it. Bull float finish, smooth and flat. The posts are 4' down, the ground naturally drains, but if it cracks all to hell, who cares, it is just a woodshed.

If you were contracting me to pour that slab, that would be a different story.