1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Crying Trees?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by stonehouse, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonehouse

stonehouse New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley
    So I cut a neighbors tree today. Not sure of the type. The oaks still have leaves here so it could be maple, could be something else. Didn't have any leaves and there were too many others around to tell from that.

Right after it fell it was soaked and water was running out of the trunk about 2 feet up like you turned a faucet on 1/4 of full.
    Anyone have some more information about this?
    Do only certain types do it or is it a time of year type thing or what?
    Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    I have cut live large elms that have done that. I cut a large limb off and it was like a small water fountain out of the tree.
  3. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Member

Loc:
    ATL
    In Spring and Fall, Maple trees have alot of sap running through them (the stuff that Maple Syrup comes from).
  4. stonehouse

stonehouse New Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley
    Didn't even think of maple syrup.
    Thanks!
  5. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Member

Loc:
    ATL
    Now that you know, tap some standing maples in late Winter/early Spring, hang a bucket, and boil the sap on top of your wood stove. (Goes good on pancakes).
  6. hookspacken

hookspacken Member

Loc:
    Troy, NY
    We cut a large Poplar tree on our property a few years back, it did the same thing, was like someone turned on a faucet. Never saw anything like it before.
  7. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Had one of those 2 years ago. It was a "dead" standing douglas fir. When I put the backcut in I got squirted with water as it fell. And funny thing was that the first 8 ft were wetter than a soaked sponge, but above that it was all practicaly burnable immediately. Really weird.
  8. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    Technically you can tap maples in the fall also. But its not good for the health of the tree and it will reduce the much heavier sap run that comes in the spring time. And its a lower sugar content than the spring.
  9. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    I wouldn't do it inside. You'll have the wallpaper peeling before you done. The rough calculation is 40-45 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup so your going way above and beyond humidifying at that point. Boil on something outside, an old stove, a turkey fryer, a camp stove. And then finish it off inside.
  10. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    I was bucking a maple last month and had that happen to me. Maple will have a distinct dark amber color though, wont be clear.
  11. pyro68

pyro68 Member

Loc:
    east coast
    hmmmmm, was wondering if anyone has tried oak syrup, or maybe poplar syrup. . . . . :cheese:
  12. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    When you tap in the spring its clear. It looks like water, heck its 95% water.
    And I guess you can make birch sryup, they do in AK I think
    If you drill into a non maple in spring, nothing will come out.
    But when the bit bites into a maple on a sunny spring day it'll come flying out once your past the bark.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Don't just assume that tree was a maple. Certainly not enough information was given to even make a guess. Heck, it could have been cottonwood or willow even. Lots of trees are loaded with sap.

Pyro68, you can make syrup out of any tree that gives sap. Problem is, not all will taste good!
  14. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Have never seen a tree ooze that much when cut, but I have seen a willow ooze grey cesspool muck. Didn't seem to bother the bugs eating the leaves before it was cut down, either.
  15. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Whitman, Mass
    MMMMM Pine syrup.

goes great on pancakes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.