CT BILL 6616 WOOD SMOKE IS A PUBLIC NUSIANCE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy13

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2006
CT
CT has a bill going right now that would make wood smoke a public nuisance please call you state reps/senators and tell them that you are opposed to this bill if you have any questions PM me and we can talk about this cloud cause all us wood burners in CT problems with running are stoves and heating are houses. www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cg...616&which_year=2009&SUBMIT1;.x=7&SUBMIT1;.y=4

Edit: this will also go after the wood smoking BQ pellet stoves fierplaces and camp fires it is not just limited to woodburning stove boilers it is wood smoke period

I see the yea's out weighing the nay's here. Just what exactly are they looking for? This is no way they can shut you down from burning your stove. I could see if they would stop granting permits to install a new unit.

KC

I work in a town that has a ban on new wood burning fireplace installs, only current epa stoves can now be installed. Stoves and fireplaces that do not meet these requirments are restriced from burning on "no burn days". No burn days are when air quality is bad in the area. Usally these are the coldest clearest days of the year. We have about 60% no burn days vs burn days for non epa appliances.

you cloud be fined and i guess in theroy stoped from ussing your stove it has not gotten that far yet but if we stop it now we wont have to find out. it becomes a health code issues to use your stove and every town will have to have there health inspector come to your house and figure out what is going on and if you are creating a public health issue, by running your stove.

This isn't a burn ban. This just means that if your neighbor filed a complaint about smoke coming from your residence, and the authorities believe it to be true, that you could be fined $100.

It is a slippery slop to be walking down yes the first time it cloud be a 100$ fine but there is nothing that says you cant be fined every day you burn and once wood smoke becomes a public nusiance it is not far from becoming a ban on burning your wood stove or having a camp fire or running your pellet stove and if you are not on good terms with your neighbors look out. it cloud cause some big problems for you

Not saying I'm in favor of the bill, just providing accurate info for anyone who didn't want to sort through the state website and jargon.

Just guessing this issue dates back quite a few years ago when testing started in high pollutant areas and recommendations for solutions started exchanging hands. Perhaps this aided to our more modern cleaner burning stoves which is good but I think industry was the main target. I could understand smoldering leaves at ground level being a nuisance, but coming out of an elevated chimney quiet another issue.

All hell will break loose when people have to start paying $100 fines when they light up their charcoal barbecues and meat smokers.

I just emailed Representative Sawyer expressing my concerns about this legislation. It was as easy as going to her website and you too can email your representative with a minimal amount of effort.

karri0n said:
This isn't a burn ban. This just means that if your neighbor filed a complaint about smoke coming from your residence, and the authorities believe it to be true, that you could be fined $100.

My neighbors are great, but who knows what kind of wing-nut might live next door in the future! There are people out there with all kinds of sensitivities, both real and imagined!

Those same whiners come up here to the $2M vacation home they had built (after they posted the land) and burn the pretty (rotten) white birch for a show for their guests and have no problem with that smoke. Friggin' wankers.
Believe it. These are the same people that have nothing more pressing during their week than to contact their representatives about things that don't fit into their moment of time. The world should revolve around them...and Oprah and Al Gore. Attention whores is the only polite name I can give them.
Sorry to be so blunt but I believe that these are the people that are tearing this country apart.

I emailed my Representative as well. I don't have a problem with wood smoke being considered a public nuisance. I do, however, want my right to heat with wood protected. I asked my Representative to ensure that this right would not be infringed upon by this bill.

Fugazi42 said:
I emailed my Representative as well. I don't have a problem with wood smoke being considered a public nuisance. I do, however, want my right to heat with wood protected. I asked my Representative to ensure that this right would not be infringed upon by this bill.

Now if we can only get everyone on this forum, who lives in CT to email their Reps. That would be fantastic.

CTburns said:
Fugazi42 said:

Now if we can only get everyone on this forum, who lives in CT to email their Reps. That would be fantastic.

Do you need to show your address when emailing? I would email them, but I live in Mass...would love to help the cause.

ilikewood said:
CTburns said:
Fugazi42 said:

Do you need to show your address when emailing? I would email them, but I live in Mass...would love to help the cause.

I had to show my address, but you should consider emailing your legistlators, because if CT is considering banning something, I'm shocked that Massachusetts hasn't thought of it first (remember your Grayhound racing)! You could also email your Rep and Senator in Washington, saying that you're aware of this movement and you would like to express your concern that the Feds might consider this issue as well. Somebody posted a link on a different thread yesterday that brought you to this website of scientists and others who are lobbying to put an end to woodburning of all kinds. If I can find it and figure out how to do it, I'll post the link on this thread too.

Found It, I hope this posts as a clickable link. Thanks Matt in PA for the website link.
http://burningissues.org/car-www/index.html

CTburns said:
ilikewood said:
CTburns said:
Fugazi42 said:

I had to show my address, but you should consider emailing your legistlators, because if CT is considering banning something, I'm shocked that Massachusetts hasn't thought of it first (remember your Grayhound racing)! You could also email your Rep and Senator in Washington, saying that you're aware of this movement and you would like to express your concern that the Feds might consider this issue as well. Somebody posted a link on a different thread yesterday that brought you to this website of scientists and others who are lobbying to put an end to woodburning of all kinds. If I can find it and figure out how to do it, I'll post the link on this thread too.

Found It, I hope this posts as a clickable link. Thanks Matt in PA for the website.
http://burningissues.org/car-www/index.html

Thanks for the link....freakin tree huggers....probably the same folks that want to ban oil, coal, natural gas, etc...

LET'S FACE IT. IT'S OUR FAULT...

Many out there do not burn responsibly (hot and clean).
Many do not have newer Phase II wood burning stoves.
Many do not care about air pollution.
Many still even burn garbage - the worst!

If "we" (the collective wood burning community) don't clean up our own act, "they" will.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "We have seen the enemy and it is us."

I agree with you Marty,
I have a buddy that just took down a huge oak and plans on burning it this winter! He did the same thing last year and told me " it burns fine!" He bought some biobricks to finish out the season and was amazed at how hot they burned. I told him that with properly seasoned wood he would notice a huge improvement in heat output and cleanliness. He just won't listen. I'm sure that there are millions of people like that. Maybe they should enact legislation that wood needs to be seasoned for 18 months, before you can sell it as "seasoned" wood. Or have some definition of the word "seasoned."

A handful of complaints, and many come from people using outdoor fire pits.....me thinks the problem should be dealt with on a local level:

Leslie Balch, Director of Health, Quinnipiack Valley Health District (QVHD) QVHD has responded to at least 5 wood smoke complaints over the past 2 years. Presently, a violation for residential wood smoke emissions does not exist in the CT Public Health code, making it quite difficult for her to investigate complaints about it; observe conditions which are known to be a detrimental to health; and fear that their best efforts to protect may be thwarted because there is no provision in the Public Health Code to cite.

Carolyn Wysocki, President of Ecological Health Organization, Inc. (ECHO) Working with people who have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), I see how wood smoke negatively affects the average person as well as those already suffering from a disease. Smoke from burning wood results in high concentrations of toxic air pollution at ground level. An EPA study concludes that breathing wood smoke particles during high pollution day is equivalent to smoking 18 cigarettes. I believe that this bill would give some recourse for people with MCS and also those with asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, allergies and cardiovascular diseases who are suffering serious adverse health effects from wood smoke.

Paul Kowalski, Environmental Health Program Director, New Haven Health Department: This law will provide municipal health departments and health districts with a tool to properly provide public health protection. Certain wood smoke emissions should be considered a public health nuisance and treated accordingly.

Rose Bernabucci, North Haven: Wood smoke has negatively compromised my health. When exposed to the smoke, my heart starts to palpitate and my entire body begins to shake. Twice I thought I was having a heart attack. My eyes and throat become so irritated that there is not much the doctors can do. I have spoken to, written to, emailed and/or visited every authority I thought could help and their answers ware all the same, “without a wood smoke nuisance law, there is nothing we can do to help you.”

David and Priscilla Miller, Milford: Our neighbor has an outdoor fire pit in their front lawn which creates a dense smoke that not only surrounds the neighborhood but seeps its way into homes. In order to reduce the effects of this smoke, we must close all windows and doors and move to the opposite side of their house, even in the spring and summer months. Even after conversations with our neighbor, he still insists that it is his right use to the fire pit for his own recreation. Many citizens have been told that this is a problem which must be addressed at the state level.

Beth Terra, New Hartford: Not only is this a pollution issue, it is a medical issue for my family as well as plenty others throughout the state. In November of 2008, a neighbor of mine began utilizing an outdoor wood-burning furnace. Now, I rarely ever lets my children play outside due to how heavy and compromising to their health the smoke is. My family and I have developed signs and symptoms of upper respiratory distress with sore throats, coughs, headaches, and nausea from the wood smoke and odor. I went to town officials with complaint of the smoke and has been told that without wood smoke being added to the nuisance law, nothing can be done.

Dorothy E. Alderman, Hebron: Over two years ago, I was forced to leave my home of 20 years on Andover Lake because of wood burning stoves. I have been to an allergist, and ear, nose and throat doctor, and then the UConn Health Center only to find out that I have Parasmia, a distortion of the sense of smell and taste, caused by damage to nervous tissue in the olfactory system. After contacting numerous people to find out what can be done about something affecting my health so negatively I learned that there was nothing they could do to help me.

Ken D'Ademo, Milford: The smoke from my neighbor's outdoor fireplace has been so strong that my wife had been taken to the hospital twice and my son's asthma medications have increased. My neighbor agreed to call us before they light their fireplace but they called once and then began to burn every night. I contacted the police, the Environmental Protection Agency, Department Environmental Protection, and even the mayor and were told there was nothing they could do as wood smoke is not part of the nuisance laws. In addition to having to sell our house due to the immense amount of smoke, my mother-in-law developed lung cancer and coincidentally her room had the most exposure to the smoke because of the basement hatch. Doctors said there was no way to prove that wood smoke was the cause, even though she was a nonsmoker.

Jodi Blanco, Broad Brook: I have contacted dozens of officials in order to have something done to aid me in my fight to have wood smoke become a nuisance. My neighbor, who installed a wood burning stove in 2002, has admitted to burning oiled rags from his sludge cleanup, and has had no fines submitted to him. The smoke from my neighbor is constantly coming into my house, making me more and more nervous each day for the health of my children. As my daughter waits outside for the school bus in the morning, she is surrounded by smoke. My family and I have made numerous doctors visits over the past several years, whether it's been for asthma or head and respiratory colds. My neighbor refuses to shut down the stove and contin

And if you had one of those poor people move in next to you, they'd shut your operation down too!

ilikewood said:
...my mother-in-law developed lung cancer and coincidentally her room had the most exposure to the smoke because of the basement hatch.

My favorite. Put your Maw-In-Law down in a Radon pit and then blame wood smoke for lung cancer. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
ilikewood said:
...my mother-in-law developed lung cancer and coincidentally her room had the most exposure to the smoke because of the basement hatch.

My favorite. Put your Maw-In-Law down in a Radon pit and then blame wood smoke for lung cancer. :coolsmirk:

That reply was awesome!

Marty S said:
LET'S FACE IT. IT'S OUR FAULT...
If "we" (the collective wood burning community) don't clean up our own act, "they" will.

I absolutely agree with Marty's points. I emphasized this in the email I sent to my representative. I made the point that the folks who burn in old non-EPA stoves, who burn wet wood, and who run OWB's improperly (*) give the rest of us a bad name. I asked my rep. to ensure that my right to heat my home with wood isn't affected by this legislation. The reality is that we wood burners have a serious image problem.

(*) I believe OWB's can be run in a responsible manner. I have a neighbor a few houses down from me who runs an OWB that I've never seen emit more than a wisp of smoke. On the other hand, there's a lot of dirty, poorly run OWBs (and stoves!) out there as well.

I like the first one....5 complaints in 2 years......now thats a big problem.
Are you kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.