CT BILL 6616 WOOD SMOKE IS A PUBLIC NUSIANCE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If true, that surprises me, I would have thought this would go through with little objection.

There are lots of farm houses that you really can't heat well using a conventional oil furnace for any practical amount of money in CT(I'm in one of them). Lots of wood burners, looks like people saw the facade and decided it wouldn't be best to pass this. Democracy in action.

pistonslap said:
Fugazi42 said:
Marty S said:
LET'S FACE IT. IT'S OUR FAULT...
If "we" (the collective wood burning community) don't clean up our own act, "they" will.

I absolutely agree with Marty's points. I emphasized this in the email I sent to my representative. I made the point that the folks who burn in old non-EPA stoves, who burn wet wood, and who run OWB's improperly (*) give the rest of us a bad name. I asked my rep. to ensure that my right to heat my home with wood isn't affected by this legislation. The reality is that we wood burners have a serious image problem.

(*) I believe OWB's can be run in a responsible manner. I have a neighbor a few houses down from me who runs an OWB that I've never seen emit more than a wisp of smoke. On the other hand, there's a lot of dirty, poorly run OWBs (and stoves!) out there as well.

I burn in a non-epa wood furnace and I'll bet mine doesn't pollute any more than an epa II stove. There are a lot of us old stove users out there that probably burn cleaner than new stove users. It's all about knowing how to burn .....

Piston...:

I agree knowledge and burning technique go a long way towards lessening wood smoke pollution but the stove (Pre-Phase II vs Phase II) itself is also a major factor. "Burn it right" in both stoves and the pre-Phase II woodstove still puts out over 3X more junk than the Phase II stove.

Don't take my word for it. Read about it here (see "Particulate Emissions, Average Daily Grams per Hour" - about 1/2 way down the page): http://www.tempcast.com/planninguide/plan02.html

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.