CTPellet.com Pre-buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have enough pellets to last me for all of next year but am thinking about installing another oil tank and having two full tanks for 1.60 per gallon. I would then move my Harman to my full daylight walkout basement and use it down there for some nice heat while I am working in my office and then heat the rest of my house with oil. I have also been thinking of getting a wood stove for the basement, then I would have tree different sources of heat.

Thats what I do with mine, I spend all day (most nights too) in my finished walkout basement, has a family room and my office and the pellet stove heats nicely down here, too hot sometimes and I got 1000 s,f, finished. Im also getting a woodstove so I can go pellets, wood or oil.

Great, I almost wish winter was longer this year :lol:

geek said:
mandkj said:
I would like to say the same thing but if I can't find the ones I want for that price, I'm not sure what I will do. I think in the end, I will probably gamble on the price of home heating oil going up this fall. Theres a place in Waterbury CT selling Barefoot for $305 a ton and if I pick it up, its cheaper than CTPellet and this guy is small. I still have time to decide though.

what place is that in Waterbury?

Blazing Hot Stoves on Watertown Ave.

you know when i think about it .... its sad that we are all here already looking EVERYWHERE for cheaper pellets... sad that these economic times have hit...and like many have said in earlier posts these prices aren't what i was expecting either but unfortunately for me its either pellet or electric in that part of my house.. i did fill up my oil tank at 1.59
and i use a woodstove for primary heat in the largest area ... i like the benefits of pellets but 280-300 a ton i would rather cut and split wood ..... i wish i could replace my pellet stove with a wood stove.... but i have another fireplace in the basement i am gonna try to either put a woodstove or insert in ... i was really thinking pellet for no mess but until the price comes down .... cant do it.. it was said earlier pellets wont come down until the housing takes off again... that makes alottta sense!!! never looked at it that way but i believe it to be true
anyways lets continue shopping!!

chrisasst said:
So yes, 1 ton of pellets did replace 300 gallons of oil..

Well, I went to a certain merchant in a certain place yesterday - and got $20 worth of food for $10. No kidding - I did do it.

So, if you PM me your address, I would like to work out a deal....I will sell you my $10 bills for only $15. Then you can find a deal like I did and buy $20. worth of stuff....

Just kidding....but the point remains. The only way to honestly compare fuels is by BTU OUTPUT...and cost for each BTU put into the house. We have to compare apples to apples. The buyer of a Pellet unit could buy a gas, LP, or even OIL freestanding stove as opposed to the Pellet stove. So the "space heat saves over central heat" would apply to all fuels.

For basic fairness, we have to not use individual (real or perceived) experience if we want to accurately compare prices. The reason is simple - we have had people here say a ton saved them 100 gallons or even less. Then we hear 300 gallons from you. It cannot be both.....just like my $10 is only worth $10 or 1000 pennies. No one will give me 3000 pennies.

Happy St Patricks Day

For basic fairness, we have to not use individual (real or perceived) experience if we want to accurately compare prices. The reason is simple - we have had people here say a ton saved them 100 gallons or even less. Then we hear 300 gallons from you. It cannot be both.....just like my $10 is only worth $10 or 1000 pennies. No one will give me 3000 pennies.

Theres other variables involved which probably accounts for the differing opinions.

Person A may have a 2000 s.f. house and use a pellet stove while they turn the furnace off, this may save on oil but only heat a couple rooms comfortably while other parts of the house are cool.

Person B may have a 1000 s.f. house and can heat the whole house comfortably with the furnace off.

Person A would save more oil than person B.

This doesnt take into account different stoves and different comfort levels for each person. So it is possible to get differing accounts.

weatherguy said:

Theres other variables involved which probably accounts for the differing opinions.

Person A may have a 2000 s.f. house and use a pellet stove while they turn the furnace off, this may save on oil but only heat a couple rooms comfortably while other parts of the house are cool.

Person B may have a 1000 s.f. house and can heat the whole house comfortably with the furnace off.

Person A would save more oil than person B.

This doesnt take into account different stoves and different comfort levels for each person. So it is possible to get differing accounts.
I believe Web covered this in the paragraph before the one you quoted...

The only way to honestly compare fuels is by BTU OUTPUT...and cost for each BTU put into the house. We have to compare apples to apples. The buyer of a Pellet unit could buy a gas, LP, or even OIL freestanding stove as opposed to the Pellet stove. So the “space heat saves over central heat” would apply to all fuels."

I believe Web covered this in the paragraph before the one you quoted…

ahh, now I see, I misunderstood, my apologies. But the person saving 300 gallons over the guy saving 100 gallons is still a happier person.

weatherguy said:
I believe Web covered this in the paragraph before the one you quoted…

ahh, now I see, I misunderstood, my apologies. But the person saving 300 gallons over the guy saving 100 gallons is still a happier person.

btu to btu you its not possible ... like mentioned before, HOWEVER, it was mentioned his furnace was very old... in my other house (my 1908 brick foundation non insulated basement) when pellets "went up to" 180 a ton, yes many years ago... i was burning almost a ton a month, i had a oil-converted to gas furnace that would run me 120-150- a month in winter... price was dead even! when they came to "service" the furnace i was told it was running at 50% eff at best!! so point is btu to btu yes .... but eff as he mentioned before he prolly is saving a ton of oil... i too wish i had just put in a high eff furnace because when i got my stove pellets were 119 ton here in the northeast... so i saved alot vs the gas bill in the beginning

I got my postcard for torrington CT Pellet early buy also. Prices are higher than i hoped but as i shopped around, scotts $259 was the cheapest around. I have bought from CT pellets for 4 years and I want to share a story with you. Last year, I bought 7 tons of Truman oak pellets in April for $224. When I went to schedule my delivery in october, I saw the website said that he was sold out so i got a little nervous. I went to the warehouse and inside was a huge stockpile of pellets. I asked why the website was saying sold out when thewre was so many pellets and scott said that all of the pellets in there were for prepaid customers from back in April. He could have easily sold mine and everyone elses for $400 a ton and just gave us our money back saying he couldn't get any pellets but he didn't. With all the crap going on with pellet thieves I will never shop anywhere but CT pellet's. I got my 7 ton's of truman oak yesterday. They are the best...and i've tried them all.

I have heard a lot of good stories about CTPellet so I will be placing an order for 3 tons this weekend. I'm not crazy about the 2.9% surcharge on credit card orders so I'll be paying with check. As stated, the prices are higher than I wanted but I'm willing to pay it in order to have them and be done with it for next season.

jtakeman said:
Looks like I need to look around, Scott has always treated my fairly, But these prices don't look to good. Last springs price was $225/ton!

I can get Spruce Pointe softwoods any day of the week for $270.00/ton.

http://pelletsdelivered.com/products

Has LIGNETICS for $280/ton again early buy! Which is still a little high for my blood.

I don't want to pay more than $235/ton or I'm going to Corn!

jay

Any idea how much their delivery to northwestern CT would be? CT Pellet is in my town so delivery at $25 for the first ton and $10 each additional will be cheap compared to everybody else .

HAWL said:
Any idea how much their delivery to northwestern CT would be? CT Pellet is in my town so delivery at $25 for the first ton and $10 each additional will be cheap compared to everybody else .

They qouted me at $70.00 for delivery. But You would need to buy 3 ton minimum. That's for 50 miles. Could be a little more.

jay

While I was feeling pretty good about my first purchase from CTPellet, I'm not so sure now. I called 2 days ago and was told 1) they had plenty of Barefoot left and 2) even though I'm not a customer yet, I could still buy since it was getting close to April. Yesterday, I get an e-mail that says they are out of Barefoot for April and May and not expecting anymore until June, which will be at mid-season prices. On top of that, they go on to say that no new customers will be accepted until April 1st so the 2 key pieces of information I was told over the phone are now contradicted by the e-mail I received.

what all of us big community need to do is DON'T BUY PELLETS YET...
It may be true that sawdust production is NOT even close what it has been before and this drives prices up, however WE make the demand.

If we hold on and demand is no where, then prices must fall to an acceptable range.......

geek said:
what all of us big community need to do is DON'T BUY PELLETS YET...
It may be true that sawdust production is NOT even close what it has been before and this drives prices up, however WE make the demand.

If we hold on and demand is no where, then prices must fall to an acceptable range.......

A few pelletheads holding out won't affect price. Worldwide demand and high raw material costs are going to keep them high.

kinsman stoves said:
Tony K said:
I purchased Hamer Hot Ones last year (April) early spring buy for 220 a ton and Lignetics (September) 239 a ton. Pellets should not be 280 - 300 a ton!

Get used to it.

Eric

As a pellet stove sales center, that reply is pretty arrogant, IMHO. If you expect to sell pellet stoves, you should be FIGHTING to get the pellet prices down or, as most posters have said, they'll go back to oil and WD40 (for their pellet stoves) and you'll be looking for Obama to bail YOU out.

tjnamtiw said:
kinsman stoves said:
Tony K said:
I purchased Hamer Hot Ones last year (April) early spring buy for 220 a ton and Lignetics (September) 239 a ton. Pellets should not be 280 - 300 a ton!

Get used to it.

Eric

As a pellet stove sales center, that reply is pretty arrogant, IMHO. If you expect to sell pellet stoves, you should be FIGHTING to get the pellet prices down or, as most posters have said, they'll go back to oil and WD40 (for their pellet stoves) and you'll be looking for Obama to bail YOU out.

I don't think it's arrogant ! I think it's some pretty good insight into what is going to happen down the road. After all Eric is on the inside with pellet market info.
How is a stove/pellet dealer supposed to fight high prices of pellets????????? Blow millions of tons of sawdust out his AZZ ????!!!!!!!!!

you sound like a dealer yourself....lol

Blah Ho Vick said:
tjnamtiw said:
kinsman stoves said:
Tony K said:

Get used to it.

Eric

I don't think it's arrogant ! I think it's some pretty good insight into what is going to happen down the road. After all Eric is on the inside with pellet market info.
How is a stove/pellet dealer supposed to fight high prices of pellets????????? Blow millions of tons of sawdust out his AZZ ????!!!!!!!!!

I DID say IMHO, which is MY opinion. I assume that he also sells pellets; hence, the reference to fighting the price escalation. He, being a buyer (assumed), should have more leverage with the suppliers than a single guy who wants 2 tons. He CAN influence the price by sourcing different suppliers and playing one against the other as all big businesses do every day. Sure you'll have to get used to high pellet prices if no one does anything about it just as oil prices are going back up, in case you didn't notice. And if you say 'get used to it', you're telling your potential customers that they probably want to look at other sources of heat. That's my point and I'm sticking to it.

Due to demand for pellets world wide some 3000 ton/year dealer doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to pricing compared to a power plant in Europe buying shiploads at a time. Even IF a pellet dealer can get some leverage/buying power it's up to him to decide if he wants to pass it on to his customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.