Cubex in a Harman - Waste of $$$?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lbcynya said:
mepellet said:
j-takeman said:
I'd check it where you normally run it. How often do you crank it to the max? I never do, I normally run right where I have been checking mine. If It gets colder the heat should be linear. So if I crank it the hotter pellet will still be hotter than the others.

With the Harman control boards they are dials. I think getting the same exact dial position would be difficult. We could "eyeball it" but it isn't like other stoves that has 3 exact settings. Know what mean? I never use the highest setting. Usually at or under half capacity on average.

Guys, the only way you can test pellets in a Harman is based on time, not temperature. Problem is, if you go by bag (40 lbs) the long period it would take to burn introduce too many variables to which will marginalize the effort. If you have to tinker, then it would be best if you set the stove to stove temp and feed rate, then drop in 3 pounds of a particular brand and measure the time it takes to consume all the pellets. Don't change any settings and repeat with a different brand. You can then extrapolate the differences and determine whether the extra cost gives sufficient extra time.

Or, you can simply take J-Takemans reviews and buy what seems to make sense to you from his hard efforts.

I think we all realize that the only way you can compare pellets with the Harman's control board is based on time. I was one of the ones that pointed that out.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85940/
What happened to Johnny anyway? Did he run away after realizing that his avatar was in jeopardy?

mepellet said:
lbcynya said:
mepellet said:
j-takeman said:
I'd check it where you normally run it. How often do you crank it to the max? I never do, I normally run right where I have been checking mine. If It gets colder the heat should be linear. So if I crank it the hotter pellet will still be hotter than the others.

With the Harman control boards they are dials. I think getting the same exact dial position would be difficult. We could "eyeball it" but it isn't like other stoves that has 3 exact settings. Know what mean? I never use the highest setting. Usually at or under half capacity on average.

Guys, the only way you can test pellets in a Harman is based on time, not temperature. Problem is, if you go by bag (40 lbs) the long period it would take to burn introduce too many variables to which will marginalize the effort. If you have to tinker, then it would be best if you set the stove to stove temp and feed rate, then drop in 3 pounds of a particular brand and measure the time it takes to consume all the pellets. Don't change any settings and repeat with a different brand. You can then extrapolate the differences and determine whether the extra cost gives sufficient extra time.

Or, you can simply take J-Takemans reviews and buy what seems to make sense to you from his hard efforts.

I think we all realize that the only way you can compare pellets with the Harman's control board is based on time. I was one of the ones that pointed that out.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85940/
What happened to Johnny anyway? Did he run away after realizing that his avatar was in jeopardy?

Ohhh, geeeez, don't let the Johnny out of the bottle by saying his name. If it happens, you get the 3 wishes.

Have any of you actually measure the convection temps? Or are we all just assuming! Cause assuming doesn't always fly IMHO.

I'm still betting you do see some variation with hotter pellets. And until I see some numbers. I ain't buying into the Harman Smarman stuff!

Here we go again, My turn to run and duck for cover! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Have any of you actually measure the convection temps? Or are we all just assuming! Cause assuming doesn't always fly IMHO.

I'm still betting you do see some variation with hotter pellets. And until I see some numbers. I ain't buying into the Harman Smarman stuff!

Here we go again, My turn to run and duck for cover! :cheese:

WOW! Just went through the referenced thread. I had know idea this had been discussed at such great length. I should have done a better search!! I'm going to take lbcynya's advice and use your test results. For what it's worth, I believe I'm getting more heat out of the hot pellet. I play around with some readings for fun but I'm not going to get to serious about it all. I know I'm paying a lot less for any pellet and getting a lot better heat versus propane!!

Status
Not open for further replies.