Cultured stone behind stove and pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henk

Apr 3, 2016
MN
Hi, I'm in central Minnesota. I put in a Lopi double door wood stove with 8" pipe on a straight wall.
The stove pipe is 21" from the studs and straight up with proper through ceiling set up.
I'm think of putting up 1/2 " durra rock and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" thick cultured stone, with a 3/8 to 1/2 " mud joint.

So after it's up, the stove pipe would be about 17 1/2" from the stone.
Does this fly with safety and codes and everything ? ( clearance to combustibles ? )
What are the actual rules ? ( So many on internet. Which is "RIGHT" )

Also, what alternatives to stone are there, with safety in mind ? Like metal, or brick. or ????
Maybe go that route.
Thanks very much.
Henk

The clearance for single wall pipe is 18" to the nearest combustible which should be the wall studs behind the Durock. If you want more protection, use double-wall stove pipe with 6" clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.