Cultured Stone Fireplace Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I replaced my heatilator fireplace with a Kozyheat Z42. In doing so, I had to remove enough stone - roughly a 5x6 area to accomplish the install. I thought it would be easy to just simply match the stone at any of the many local stone shops - but it's not. Looks like the builder used left overs from many different makers and styles to create my fireplace and matching it - is not going to happen. I want to avoid a total do over, because it runs floor to ceiling and I don't want to damage either the hardwoods or drywall ceiling.

So my question, since I have a smaller area to stone now ---> If I clean up the removed stones (clean the mortor completely off the back and make them like new stone, shouldn't I be able to reuse them? I took a chisel and hammer to a few that I kept to use for matching and they cleaned up nicely. Any masons here on Hearth.com that can give me advise on this. The remaining stone, I tossed over the gully on the back of my property. I trudged through the snow today to find all the pieces and have them in my garage to clean up. It would really be great if I can re use them.

The Z42 has been installed for a month and I love it. My propane heat has not kicked on once and it's gotten as low as 5 degrees. My house is big too *two heating zones* roughly 3700 sf not including the basement. I wasn't sure what this unit would do. We are warm and loving it and them money we are not spending on propane.

yeah no problem at all to re use the old stone - clean it up and mortar it back in.

forgot to mention depending on the age of the chimney etc it may actually be difficult to match the mortar in the points as well. You will likely either have to grind out all the mortar and re point the whole thing for a perfect match or play with dyes etc. to match the old mortar as best you can. Also key is try to match the consistancy as far as if the origional mason used sand in the mortar they pointed with you do the ame, if theirs was very smooth mix yours up the same.

Mix it to about the consistancy of peanut butter - try to get it so it will stick right to your trowel and only come off with a flick of the wrist. And use Silpro C-21 or a similar additive - it really does make a huge difference in adhesion. Good luck post pics when it's done.

Other than a hammer and chisel, any other methods to remove the mortor? I was think of a cutting blade on a drill or using a masonary drill bit?

The original grout joints are not tinted as far as I can tell, I will take a chunk of it to the stone store and see if they can identify what best to use.

Thanks

basswidow said:
Other than a hammer and chisel, any other methods to remove the mortor? I was think of a cutting blade on a drill or using a masonary drill bit?

The original grout joints are not tinted as far as I can tell, I will take a chunk of it to the stone store and see if they can identify what best to use.

Thanks

If you've got a small grinder or have access to one you can grind off the mortar with a diamond blade. Use a respirator.

Status
Not open for further replies.