Cultured Stone / Hearth design suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfan

Dec 12, 2007
Southwestern NH
I've been thinking of building up a hearth sort of like https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14900/P0/. I'd use cultured stone for a finished surface of the hearth and in back of the stove as well.

In our location, the thimble is flush to the wall - but I feel safer with some durrock up (+ 1" air in back of the stove and on the corner wall to the right of the stove, see pic).

Curious if anyone has found themselves in a similar situation and can offer advice / suggestions for an interesting design?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• fireview.jpg
    fireview.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 977
First of all nice Wood Stove - good looking
Are you keeping the hearth on which your stove stands??
How about some Soapstone from Vermont. Quarry should not be to far away from you.
Cultured Stone is probably cheaper but just overused, everyone has it. (my personal opinion)
Even though there are nice examples on this forum pictured.

hey that's a great idea! I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the stove compliment too, its a Woodstock Fireview. Am considering replacing the tile hearth pad and building up a 6"+ platform for the stove to sit on.

Here is what I did behind my stove with cultured stone. It is attached to durarock with 1 inch air space. It takes a while to do but if you take your time it will look nice.

Attachments

• Size.JPG
    Size.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 877
I'm designing a corner for my Woodstock Classic now so any feedback would be great for me too. I looked and looked, priced stuff out and ended up biting the bullet and purchasing a corner hearthpad right from Woodstock - style is Cumberland Sky. Pricey, yes, but well made and sets off the stove colors nicely. I installed a new Anderson Frenchwood slider this weekend. That was fun (not)... but I had to change the orientation of the door opening anyway... the old french door swung in toward the stove and contacted the pad when only about 1/2 way open. I finished trimming the door interior a couple days ago and will be working on the exterior trim tonight since weather looks good. I just began installing Brazilian Cherry floors last night too - have to get about 100 sq ft in before putting the pad down and setting the stove.... so pics aren't going to be until next week with all the other work I've got to do staining the interior wood and getting the exterior of the new door trimmed out.

I'm planning on attaching real stone on the corner walls from the pad to the ceiling. I have wood beam ceilings in that room - so I thought it would look nice. Any other ideas to consider? Anyone else have pics of a Classic or Fireview? The pics have really helped me out along the way. Thanks for a great site!

I'm watching closely. I too would like to build up the rear wall with some sort of stone or stone product. The sheetrock is okay but I think that it needs the stone and mantle.

Quite a fire in that woodstock. You really pushed that rear clearance eh?

Attachments

• smalla3.JPG
    smalla3.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 773
I'll be doing the same type of install as well. I have the woodstock fireview sitting in the crate just dying to get used. I plan on building the base with 2X6's and using cultured stone for the hearth and walls. I'll use at least 3/4 plywood on top of the 2X6's and then 1/2 durock. I believe this is what woodstock recommends. The hearth stones will go on top of this then.

not sure this will help with a wood stove design layout, but here's a pic of owens corning cultured stone.

Attachments

• Quad 7100.JPG
    Quad 7100.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 810
Status
Not open for further replies.