Cumberland Gap by Quadra-Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore

Apr 8, 2008
Northern Sask Canada
Hello,

Just wondering if anybody has this stove or has heard what it is like. I can get it for quite a bit cheaper than the Isle Royale.... $800 cheaper to be exact so that will be a big factor. Just looking for opinions before I make this purchase. I just don't want to get a stove only to find out I should have gotten something else.

Here are my factors:

1. Heating 2000 sq/ft on 2 levels
2. Prefer the side load, but not against top loading
3. Part time heating

Does the Cumberland Gap use the same clean burn technology as the Isle Royale?

Thanks in advance
Corey

I have had one for about 1 month. So far I like it. I love the side door. It is simple to operate and it does have the same secondary burn as the isle royal. It does not seem to tolerate wet wood as well as my old smoke dragon. I have had the misfortune of getting a couple of batches of wet wood this year. I have a single story ranch house 1500 sq ft or so. It struggled a little least week with temps outside well below 10 deg. Normally I start a fire at night when I get home from work and will stop the furnace from turning on all night. In about 4 hours I can usually get the house up to 70 at the thermostat on the other end of the house. From a cold start it takes about 2 hours to get the stove up to temp but that could be my wood.

HeatInspector1.jpg

The Cumberland is a smaller stove than the Isle Royal by a fair margin. You may want to take that into consideration with the size of house you are trying to heat.

We are in our second winter with the Cumberland Gap. On balance, it is a good stove, but not a great one. My wife and I both had VC Defiants before we met, then a Defiant Encore that we over-fired into oblivion after 15 years. The Cumbie has some fragile parts--the firebricks inside are not the high-density ones I am used to from maple syrup evaporator arches, so they crack easily with rapid temp changes (snow on wood) or from a vigorous loading. I have also had issues with even-partially wet wood--it won't burn well without the side door cracked. Very dry wood works very well, though.

I have not been able to get a good secondary burn going for much longer than 45 minutes, and I wonder what the secondary air is adding after that--cooling? Although there is a good bed of coals in the morning after an all-night burn and I get a good relight, the stovetop is under 200 degrees. Full night's heating requires a reload around 2 -- 3 a.m.

The last problem is that when I load it last thing at night, I have to sit up with it, with the door cracked or the start-up air open until it is really cranking, otherwise it smoulders down and smokes up the house. Maybe some of these issues are chimney-specific, but we never had these issues with the VC for 15 years (just air leaks we couldn't find and fix, over firing and warped back plates!).

We are ready to go back to a cat and to soapstone--looking at Fireview and HS Heritage.

BTW, we paid about $3000 US for the Cumbie in the Fall of 2007, and the Fireview is a heck of a lot cheaper for supposedly a heck of a lot more stove.

Good luck with your decision.

Herbster

Hmm.... Okay. Thanks for the honest review Herbster

Would it be advisable to step up to the Isle Royale? Is it made better, does it burn better etc etc.

Thanks again

Hardcore said:
Hmm.... Okay. Thanks for the honest review Herbster

Would it be advisable to step up to the Isle Royale? Is it made better, does it burn better etc etc.

Thanks again

The firebox on the Isle Royale is bigger (3.0 vs. 2.4). Both stoves require good seasoned wood, but that's true for
just about any epa stove. The Isle Royale burns longer because it has a bigger firebox.

Both stoves have the fragile bricks, although I haven't broken mine yet. I'm happy with my Isle Royale. If I had 1500 square
feet, I think I'd be happy with the Cumberland Gap. But I have 2000 square feet so I went with the Isle Royale.

Mine is cruising right now at 650 with the secondaries putting on a show.

Agreed. You are in cold country and should be looking into 3cu ft stoves. They will produce heat for a longer period and when pushed, more btus. Is Quadrafire the only brand available in your area? If you have a PE dealer or a Napoleon dealer locally, they are of similar, jacketed construction as the Cumberland Gap. The Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 stove is castiron clad. As a Canadian product, it might be available for a better price locally than the Isle Royale.

Speaking on behalf of the IR - mine is a few years old (6 or 7, can't remember) and must have different firebrick, because after several seasons of hard burning and log jamming, I still have no prob with the bricks. Just say'in.

Beyond that, the IR is a very reliable, very capable heating appliance that I would have NO reservation in recommending. It is a bit on the pricey side, but made very solid. It likes dry wood best, as do all stoves, and can really throw out heat by the bucket loads. If I HAD to pick on something, it would be that the very back of the firebox narrows down compared to the front.

I have not had to touch anything for repairs on this stove so far. When purchased, the dealer (very reputable) mentioned that I will have to replace door gaskets at some point, but the stove should outlast me.

There are lots of good stoves on the market to take into consideration, and I would throw the IR into that category.

For sure, we came really close to having the IR in our house. The alternatives are a suggestion for Canadian makes if the local IR cost turns out to be a budget breaker.

I too have the cumberland. Had it four seasons. I like it works well in my house (about 1800sf) heats first and second floor nicely. I have to agree with earlier posts re bricks. They are starting to crack and pit. What did you guys replace with?? I have the maghony finish and its a nice looking stove. Only burn seasoned wood. Otherwise you'll be babysitting till it gets going.

What stove temps are you running? My runs at about 350-450f

Really liking the looks of the Harman Oakwood.... I haven't ruled out any stove yet, but really like the cooking features of this stove and it seems to be suited almost perfectly for both size and looks.

Any reason the Harman Oakwood should be avoided?

Could the Isle Royale be fitted with a custom cooking grill in the top load section similar to the Harman Oakwood?

Thanks for all the help!

Hardcore said:
Could the Isle Royale be fitted with a custom cooking grill in the top load section similar to the Harman Oakwood?

Its already a griddle top.

glassmanjpf said:
I too have the cumberland. Had it four seasons. I like it works well in my house (about 1800sf) heats first and second floor nicely. I have to agree with earlier posts re bricks. They are starting to crack and pit. What did you guys replace with?? I have the maghony finish and its a nice looking stove. Only burn seasoned wood. Otherwise you'll be babysitting till it gets going.

What stove temps are you running? My runs at about 350-450f

Glassman, I am also running at 350-450 stovetop temp. I replaced the standard size bricks with half-thickness firebricks from a maple syrup equipment supplier ( http://www.bascommaple.com/store/index.php?cat=2 ). These are very dense and practically indestructible. Cutting them to fit requires a diamond tile saw. Cutting the hole for the rear startup air vents may need a carbide hole saw, but I chickened out and bought a pair of the fragile bricks from a local dealer, who took them out of a floor model stove (!).

Saturday we are donating the Cumbie to a close friend who just got married, and he and a buddy will help with the install of the new Fireview which we just picked up from Lebanon yesterday.

Cool beans!

herbie

Status
Not open for further replies.