Cumberland Gap by Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prestonmoler

Jun 19, 2010
Maryland
I was hoping to get some input on this stove. A local shop has this stove on sale for what seems to be a good price. Originally I was planning on an Isle Royal, but at $1000.00 less that the Isle Royal, the Cumberland Gap is looking pretty good. So this is why I am asking for the low down on the Cumberland Gap. Speak freely, the good and the bad. Thanks so much.

The main difference is going to be size. Indications in the first thread were that a large stove was preferred. I don't remember anything bad about this stove. With its cast iron jacket, I would expect it to be a bit more convective, like the PE Alderlea series. Considering this is a basement heater, I'd stick with the original plan. $100 over the lifetime of the stove is going to be about $5/year.

What is the old stove that is being replaced?

The old stove is a Century (cheap stove from Lowes 11 years ago). Max BTU in the owners book says 55,000. It was a $1000.00 difference in price, not $100.00

Unless Qadra's website is way off, the BTU and claimed burn times are REALLY close between the two.

BTUs:
Cumberland: 63.9K
Isle: 66.7

Claimed Burn Times on low (which doesn't mean much, but still...)
11.7-15.7 hrs
14.5-19.4 hrs

Sq ft rating by weather zone is really close.

I do not see any firebox spec numbers.

In Quads brochure the Isle Royal is listed at 3.0 cu. ft., and the Cumberland Gap is listed at 2.39 cu. ft. I have read that the back of the Isle Royal is narrower, than the rest of the stove, and therefore harder to fit wood in. Looking at one in the store it is a good bit narrower in the back of the Royal than it is in the rest of the stove. The Cumberland Gap does not have this issue, and it is also noticably deeper than the Royal is. Don't know how much this really means in terms of heating my house though?

pjm said:
In Quads brochure the Isle Royal is listed at 3.0 cu. ft., and the Cumberland Gap is listed at 2.39 cu. ft. I have read that the back of the Isle Royal is narrower, than the rest of the stove, and therefore harder to fit wood in. Looking at one in the store it is a good bit narrower in the back of the Royal than it is in the rest of the stove. The Cumberland Gap does not have this issue, and it is also noticably deeper than the Royal is. Don't know how much this really means in terms of heating my house though?

I'm always a fan of the larger firebox. Longer burn times in the dead of winter is a huge benefit. There are a few Isle owners on this forum. Hopefully they will chime in about the narrow backend of the Isle. I do not remember anyone complaining about it, though.

pjm said:

OK, $1000 is a big difference. Sorry, missed a zero in there. You are in a milder climate, so the Cumberland Gap will likely work, especially if you are willing to supplement the heat on extremely cold days. It's a side loader, similar in performance to the Jotul Oslo by what I can tell. It should work out ok. Is the 5700 no longer in the running? That seemed like a nice deal.

I think the Cumberland Gap is a really nice stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Yes the 5700 is, just that I do like the look of the cast iron stoves, especially in porcelain finish. Also I have never owned a cast iron stove. I have had three steel stoves in two different houses in the last 20 years. The 5700 ACT is marked WAY down, because the 5700 ACC is out. The Cumberland Gap is on sale. The Isle Royal is full price currently

Bought a C.G. last fall.We were really happy how it works.Easy overnight burns,lots of heat,clean door glass,and very nice to look at.Definitely buy the blower it works good without it,works great with it.Will try to post pic later.
The back does taper in 3-4'' on each corner but will still take a 16''split N/S.

Yep, in the back the IR tapers in. Would I like it to be square? Yes, but it always seems that whatever load of wood I just brought into the house, there is a couple that will fit right in there.

Here's the pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2097.jpg
    DSCN2097.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 625
  • DSCN2100.jpg
    DSCN2100.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 560
That is a handsome stove. It looks great in that setting. Thanks for posting Jeff. Did you consider rear-exit vent to a 90 so that it could be a bit more forward on the hearth? That would help heat output and access to the side door.

BeGreen said:
That is a handsome stove. It looks great in that setting. Thanks for posting Jeff. Did you consider rear-exit vent to a 90 so that it could be a bit more forward on the hearth? That would help heat output and access to the side door.
I could pull the stove out 10 more inches but the boss liked it better tucked in.I would like to try the side door sometime but it seems to burn better for me loading n/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.