Cumberland Gap Fan Alternatives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmachn

Oct 27, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'd like to get a fan (blower) for my wood stove but have been hesitant because they are a couple Ben Franklin's...plus. My stove is "jacketed" so there is some natural convection but I would like to enhance the air movement. I found a 3rd party alternative on Amazon that has good reviews, but it is still ~$180. Before taking the plunge, I'm just wondering if anyone has alternative arrangements for blowing fan around the stove. Not any ducting options, just enhancing the already present natural convection.

Even if there are not any specific recommendations, I'd be happy to hear how the OEM Quadra Fire fan works so I could try to mimic. i.e. pulls air from under the stove and blows up over the top or vice-versa. Thanks

No ideas yet, or is it my breath? :confused:

I'd like to get a fan (blower) for my wood stove but have been hesitant because they are a couple Ben Franklin's...plus. My stove is "jacketed" so there is some natural convection but I would like to enhance the air movement. I found a 3rd party alternative on Amazon that has good reviews, but it is still ~$180. Before taking the plunge, I'm just wondering if anyone has alternative arrangements for blowing fan around the stove. Not any ducting options, just enhancing the already present natural convection.

Even if there are not any specific recommendations, I'd be happy to hear how the OEM Quadra Fire fan works so I could try to mimic. i.e. pulls air from under the stove and blows up over the top or vice-versa. Thanks
When I first installed the c-g it was without the blower.It worked good for being tucked in a fireplace but the salesman offered for me to buy blower for $180.00 if I wanted to upgrade in the future.I called him a week later (the shop is 2 hrs away) and he shipped it to me for the same price.
I wil say the stove did well by it's self,with the blower it cranks. There's not alot of special features,just your basic three speed fan.

Thanks JeffT. If I could get the blower for $180, I probably would have done it earlier. I don't remember the price that he gave me initially, but I'm fairly confident it was at least $250.

Tell me, does the fan pull air from the back and blow underneath the stove, or pull air from underneath and blow up?

The burn chamber is steel,the casement is cast.There is a 1/2'' airspace inside the jacket that the air flowes through. The air from the fan is forced from the bottem rear,up the back and out the top front and side vents.To correct myself it is a variable speed fan.The factory fan is a 2 or 3 screw install,around 2 or 3 min.so factor that in with your build, time is money.

Status
Not open for further replies.