CUMBERLAND GAP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkral

Apr 4, 2007
HI:JUST COMPLETED INSTALL OF STOVE HEARTHMOUNT IN A MASONRY FIREPLACE (EXTERNAL CHIMNEY) WITH A RAISED HEARTH 20FT. SS LINER , INSULATED BLOCKOFF PLATE. 1600 SQ. FT. BI-LEVEL HOME STOVE IS ON LOWER LEVEL. I AM BURNING A MIX OF WHITE AND RED OAK , OSAGE ORANGE , SUGAR AND SILVER MAPLE ALL SPLIT AND AGED AT LEAST TWO YEARS. 25 YEARS EXPERIENCE WITH A FIREPLACE NONE WITH A STOVE. MAX STOVE TEMP HAS BEEN 425 DEGREES ROOM TEMP 75 (RM 16 X 24) REST OF HOUSE IN LOW 60'S . OUTSIDE TEMP 20. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO INCREASE OUTPUT HOUSE IS 50YRS. OLD WITH ABOVE AVERAGE INSULATION THANKS LARRY

Its located on the left side of your keyboard between the shift and the tab key.

It sounds like a convection stove would have made more sense with your layout in regards to moving heat to multiple rooms. Perhaps blowing air at the stove with a box fan.

Are you getting the surface temp to 600 or so on a high burn before loading up and shutting down the air? When you do load up, are you packing that firebox full?

[quote author="Franks" date="1292958124"]Its located on the left side of your keyboard between the shift and the tab key.
quote]

HA HA made me laugh...

"Exterior chimney": Is your liner insulated all the way from top to bottom?

Moving heat: Stove is on lower level. Put a small fan at the bottom of your stairs facing the stove to get your interior air currents moving. Might help if you had a fan at the top of the stairs blowing cold air downstairs also. The idea is cold air is low; hot air is high. Move cold to hot, not the other way around.

Stove temp: Check your stove manual for optimum operating temps. Stoke up the fire to opt temps, close down the air intake in stages, like down to 1/2 then down to 1/4 air.

Sounds like your wood should be good so that's a plus!

Shari

I dont have a cumberland gap (but thats actually on my short list). Tackling one problem at a time, 425 seems awfully low for a max stovetop temp. First thing to consider is the thermometer accurate? Placement? I can see well over 100* difference on both my stoves across the top. Also at those temperatures my magnetic thermo (Rutland brand) reads about 100 degrees low!

If the thermo and placement are good then make sure your burning methods are good, and since your new to stoves it might be a bit of a learning curve so you are at the right place. Start reading threads here, especially about secondary burn. I dont even start backing my air down on my Jotul until I am over 425, are you leaving the air completely open to get to that point? I'm not a good teacher but if I understand it correctly you need to get the temp up to preheat the secondary air to the point it ignites in the top of the stove (400-500 degrees maybe?) and then be dialing the primary air down - the stove will actually get hotter as you dial the air down and secondary combustion picks up. I can dial my air all the way down to min at ~450 degrees and have the stove keep going up to 650 or so within the next 20 minutes.

Hey I say you ain't runnin' your stove hot enough. If you got a clean chimney/liner, I say load that puppy up and let 'er rip. I burn my Jotul Oslo up to 650 degrees stovetop temp when it's cold and I want heat.

Sorry i didn't get back sooner. I will try over the holidays to increase temps and use a fan. Chimney is only insulated at base, weather permitting i will finish the entire chimney . Thanks Larry

Thought I would wait to reply until I did further testing.I've been running a Cg for 1 and a 1/2 seasons and I don't think I have been burning much hotter than that.Checked the stove top temps last night and had 375 top 425 inside(cast clad steel box)with the ir.This was a full load of split and stacked for 2yrs ash.This was with the blower on high so the temps were probably compromised.

Thought I would wait to reply until I did further testing.I've been running a Cg for 1 and a 1/2 seasons and I don't think I have been burning much hotter than that.Checked the stove top temps last night and had 375 top 425 inside(cast clad steel box)with the ir.This was a full load of split and stacked for 2yrs ash.This was with the blower on high so the temps were probably compromised.Will post back with up dated results after further testing

Status
Not open for further replies.