Cure your allergies by going into the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
My Fall allergies kicked into high gear last week. Been taken multiple OTC meds with little relief.
Since I had off on Labor Day and the weather cooled off I figured it would be a good day to be in the woods.
My initial thought was it was going to be a very miserable day due to have bad my allergies were.
But, after I was in the woods for about 15 minutes my symptoms disappeared, no more sneezing or runny nose I felt normal. But, when I went to drop off a load of cut wood at the house, my nose started running and I was sneezing again. Every time I went back into the woods my allergies stopped.

Some of the common allergens probably grow out in the open, rather than the woods. I think this is late for tree pollen, but ragweed is up. Deeper in the woods, maybe the pollen of interest is filtered/diluted a bit?

Reactions: PapaDave
Sounds like you might be allergic to grass pollen.

I have heard, so long as you are not allergic to honey, to buy local, and by eating, your body will eventually be immune to whatever your allergic to. Not sure it would work for grass pollen, but maybe worth a try.

I think you are supposed to smoke the local grass, or so they say...::P

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Possible indoor allergens, like pets or mold?

Could be the fresh air cure :cool:

Since all those plants in the woods are giving off fresh oxygen.

We may have come onto something here, hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.