Curing a NC30 wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newguy777

Dec 4, 2014
I posted this question elsewhere but I figured I would ask the question in a specific thread. How do I cure my NC30 for the first time. Any harm in doing it in the house after we've got everything hooked up? Obviously its cold out now, if I have a fire in it while its sitting outside and leave it to die out overnight will it do the wood stove any harm over night? Thanks

No harm in curing the stove in place. Just expect to have a few windows open. If the wife/girlfriend or whatever is fussy have her leave for a couple hours during your first firing.

Your manual will explain everything, follow it to the T. Make sure you have the proper clearances and remember, the stove may be able to be installed close to a combustible wall, but if you are using single wall smoke pipe you must have at least 18" from nearest combustibles.

First firing should be just kindling and maybe a couple 2" splits. This will drive moisture out of the bricks and no paint smell. Then you can have a good fire that gets the stove up to at least 500F. This will stink and set off smoke alarms. Have a fan in a window to exhaust the fumes. Third fire should also be hot. It will smoke a bit but not as bad. After that the bake in of the paint should be minimal.

ya it stinks work nights did first burn in the morning sat down and waited woke up with a house full of fumes and smoke ;loli'm such dumas

Status
Not open for further replies.