Curing Imperial Hi-Tempt Stove and Furnace Cement...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvto2

Nov 14, 2011
Northern CT
I have some small eroding borders where both my fireplace chimney and Wood/Coal stove Chimney (early 90's Consolidated Dutchwest Federal Airtight, Large) meet the fireplace or beginning of the stove flue. I wanted to patch this with stove cement and found some Imperial Hi-Temp Stove and Furnace Cement. There is a brief and ambiguous instruction: "Must be heat cured". I called the company and the receptionist responded directly by saying, heat the stove up to 200 degrees, let it die, heat it up to 300 degrees, and let that die, and then you can fire the stove up". Does this eem right? Also, I can measure the flue of the stove but I don't know how I will calibrate or measure my fireplace chimney heat. Thoughts and suggestions?

Those instructions sound good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.