curing odors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I've read a lot here about the odors created during the break in period of a new stove/insert. I'm scheduled to have my Jotul 550 installed on Monday providing our weather holds and am wondering if there are any ways to minimize the odors we get in the break in period.

I am also wondering how toxic the odors are or are they harmless?

If at all possible, do your break in fires outside. If this is not possible, be prepared to open windows and maybe even run fans. I don't believe that I have ever heard of the fumes causing any illness, but it probably ain't good for ya either. The stoves finish and manufacturing oils is what you are getting fumes from and sometimes stove cement can also emit an odor until cured.

No - there is really no way to minimize the odors - it's going to happen one way or another, but will not last long - just follow the break-in procedures. Once you get the stove up to temp - you shouldn't ever smell it again. If you are real sensitive to the curing burnoff - open the windows - it will go away

Mine is burning off odors as we speak. I've got the sliding glass door open, a window open, and a box
fan going. I'm keeping my kids' bedroom doors closed and the dog upstairs. It doesn't smell bad as long
as I type by the sliding glass door. A little chilly perhaps. :)

Jags has the right idea. Even if you can one firing in while your installers prep, you'll be better off.

Prep? usually for us it comes right out of the box and into the house. Get the heavy lifting done first. Give you a base point to start the work off of also.

You could always pick it up ahead of time if its going to be that big of a deal. I say just let it rip in the house and open a window.

If you follow Jotuls break-in, you will have 4 smelly fires. The 3 break-in fires they recommend and the first time you let 'er rip. Open the windows, run fans, and be prepared for the outgassing to set off your smoke alarms with each fire.

After you get through that, you'll be glad you bought a Jotul.

I guess it is safe to assume from all of these responses that you all have survived so the toxins can't be too toxic.....We are supposed to have warmer weather so I guess the idea of open windows and fans seems the most practical.

Yes, I do plan on doing Jotul's recommended 4 break in fires which will probably take a couple of days since they recommend letting the unit completely cool down between each fire.

Airing the house out will give me a head start on spring cleaning!!!

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.