Curing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandt

Sep 21, 2015
AR
Fisher Mama Bear with rear outlet

When you do an outside burn to cure stove paint, do you install firebricks of not?

What temp should the stove be fired at?

Thanks to all for nubbie questions

I love my Fisher baby bear to death. I don't like to fire mine above four fifty (sorry number keys broken), and firebricks are a must, otherwise with certain woods (like black locust or hedge) you could overfire it, and it could crack or warp. They also hold a lot of heat left over from the burn in, keeping the stove hot longer. You could also overfire it with really hot softwoods like Pines if you run the draft cap open too wide or with the door opened at all. Aside from that, I'd have to defer any advice over to member/moderator Coaly, he's the absolute fisher authority on this site, and I'm sure he'll reply. He'll surely know what to do with the paint situation and maybe some advice on firing temps. The dude knows his stuff. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
I've done it with them in if they weren't taken out, or with out if they were already removed. It wouldn't hurt firing with none to just cure the paint, but it's nice to keep the sides clean where the bricks fit. You don't want a layer of carbon behind them if you don't burn it hot enough. I just bring it up to temp with kindling and add a small firebox load of 2 X 4 scraps that won't burn long. Dampers open about a turn with pipe damper about half and let it go out. When down to coals I get out the marshmallows and brown a few on a stick with the door open like a campfire in the driveway !
As turn_n_burn said, don't use it for heating without bricks. They increase combustion chamber temps and prevent side warpage. A fire to cure it won't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.