Curing stove, something don't seem right, pics below

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
My son and I carried the stove (Century Hearth FW300010) outside and built a fire in it. With the door open I could keep the fire going but every time I closed the door it would just smolder. Damper is fully open. Temp only at 200 degrees. Out side air temp is currently 50 degrees, plus the glass is nearly blackened out. I thought the wood may be damp because I could here it fizzing when I had the door open. My son went and picked up seasoned, dry oak. We started over again. Same thing is happening all over again. Could all this be because there's no stove pipe connected on top or is this normal? I thought I would be able to watch the logs burn not smolder. Be fore I sent this I checked it again. Stove temp 200 degrees, glass nearly darkened out. I opened the door and on fire, just smoldering again. Damper is fully open. Please send advice, Thanks

Attachments

• Edited2 100_0457_0221.jpg
    Edited2 100_0457_0221.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Edited2 100_0457_0221.jpg
    Edited2 100_0457_0221.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 645
  • Edited100_0458_0222.jpg
    Edited100_0458_0222.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 643
The fizzing indicates wet wood (also a problem), but as previous posters indicated, no chimney=no draft. Those restricted air inlets need a decent draft to pull the air through once the door closes.

Put a couple of pipe sections in the top and let'er rip. This one is at 550*.

Attachments

• running hot.jpg
    running hot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 30 outside.jpg
    30 outside.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 612
bbc557ci said:
So when ya buy a NEW stove, it should be "cured" ? I didn't know that 8-/

It this a must do kinda thing on all new stoves ?

It is curing the paint. The first few fires in a new stove heat up the oils from the manufacturing process and the new paint and it stinks up the joint big time. Sometimes sets off the smoke detectors. If you do it indoors have the windows open.

Better yet do it in the yard.

I'm thinking you should take advantage of this "problem" with a brisket or two. There's lots of time to enjoy burning wood. The snow hasn't even started falling there!

Matt

bbc557ci said:
So put on a couple of lengths of chimney and let'r rip. How long....couple of hours or so ?

Just get it up to 400 or 500 hundred for a half hour or so and it should be done. You will know when it stops smelling.

Pic below. Thanks for everyones advice. I sent me son to the store for pipe. Added 3ea 2ft sections. It did the trick. Very little smoke coming out the pipe. Temp at 500 degrees. Glass will have to be cleaned with oven cleaner tomarrow after I'm done heating up my truck tonight. I lowered the damper all the way down and the second burn kicked in at the top tubes while the fire on the logs disapered. Thats cool. Opened it back up to finish the burn tonight. Brotherbart, I remember your pictures from a month ago and did'nt think about the pipe. Again thanks everyone.

Oh ya, look behind my truck to the left, youa'l see my wood stacks. It all came from a tree in my yard. A friends 18" chain saw missed reaching the middle by 2"s. Those blue tarps are worthless. Spring I'm going to build a single wall north to south 10' x 75' with a roof expanding out from the wall around 10' or 12'. Opening will face east to store all my wood.

Attachments

• 6ft pipe 100_0460_0253-1.jpg
    6ft pipe 100_0460_0253-1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 583
I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning the glass either. Once you've got it fired up and running hot, most of that stuff will just burn off by itself. An occaisional wipe down (when the stove's cool :eek:hh: ) with a little glass cleaner will clean off any haze that forms over time. Kinda cool huh?, how a chimney makes the whole thing work. So many of the problems with stoves discussed here are actually due to incorrect chimney set ups.

Somehow that picture with the stove in front of the truck looks like it belongs in some offbeat and/or snarky advertising campaign. For what, I'm not sure.

I'm now cleaning up a glass of juice I just spewed all over the monitor and keyboard.

Speechless! :roll:

DiscoInferno said:
Somehow that picture with the stove in front of the truck looks like it belongs in some offbeat and/or snarky advertising campaign. For what, I'm not sure.

"Century Stoves. Built Ford Tough."

BrotherBart said:
DiscoInferno said:

"Century Stoves. Built Ford Tough."
DiscoInferno said:

when the wind stopped blowing all we had ws the ford and som blowed down trees we we found us a stove and fired it up to keep worm stove fits in bed nice though, gues its time to start working on a sheed for her to stay in, the ford i mean.

aww come on he is trying to heat up the neighbor hood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.