Curing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhtodd

Dec 10, 2007
ManchVegas, New Hampshire
I have been reading several posts and have not found the answer I am looking for so if it has been posted please excuse the repeat question. What is the correct way to cure a new stove? I have just purchased an Englander woodstove and what to make sure I get off on the right foot.

Thanks for the help

Several small breakin fires. Check your manual to see if they mention this in there.

Otherwise, first two fires: start with kindling, go to a few small splits and get it up to about 350-400 stovetop temp. then let it die down, repeat for next fire, go to 400-450, next fire follow manual for burning instructions; try not to get over 550 on stovetop. Then begin to use it "normally".

Be prepared for the wonderful smell of burning paint. Have a fan handy in case you need to direct some smoke out the nearest window.

Sit it on the driveway, stick a couple of pipe sections in the top, put some wood in it and fire it up. Babying a steel stove in breakin isn't as critical as it is with a cast stove. The limited draft won't let you overfire it anyway and doing it outside will keep you from stinking up the house and setting off the smoke detectors as the paint cures.

Attachments

• running hot.jpg
    running hot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 356
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 349
BB, you are always so correct. My thoughts were for inside where he might get too much burn off; you are absolutely right that if you can burn it in outside, then go for it....

Thanks for the help. I have it installed already and can't move it out by myself so it will be death by a thousand little fires. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

BB, you are always so correct. My thoughts were for inside where he might get too much burn off; you are absolutely right that if you can burn it in outside, then go for it....

Well, he didn't tell you he set off heat detectors in the neighboring townships... You'll want to be aware of that caveat. ;-)

BeGreen said:

Well, he didn't tell you he set off heat detectors in the neighboring townships... You'll want to be aware of that caveat. ;-)

There were a lot of squirrels falling from the trees around here that day.

Pesky little varmints anyway....better than road kill too!

Heck, in BB's neck of the woods, that's calling for a hoedown. Smoked squirrel and grits. Yummm.

BeGreen said:
Heck, in BB's neck of the woods, that's calling for a hoedown. Smoked squirrel and grits. Yummm.

With gravy. Don't forget the gol darned gravy!

Right, n' honey-brown gravy of course!

nhtodd, Welcome fellow New Hampshireite. Hope you enjoy your new stove.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.