Curious about chicago industries 45 ton log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And for the record - 3000 PSI is being optimistic. Most splitters will come from the factory with a relief setting of around 2500 PSI.
There are a few that have 3000 psi components throughout the system, but many will use 2500 PSI hoses. The relief must not be set higher than the lowest rated component.

Force = Pressure x Area. (F = P x A)

The engine turns a pump that builds up pressure in the system until it reaches the relief valve pressure setting, which usually is at maximum 3000 psi. Area is the area of the circle at the end of the cylinder.

For a 5" cylinder:

Force = (3000 psi system) x (area of a 5" cylinder) divided by 2000 (number of pounds per ton) = 29.5 tons

In this example, neither engine horsepower nor speed of pump have anything to do with the theoretical maximum force (in tons) generated by the system. Those characteristics have to do with the speed at which the max pressure (as determined by the relief valve) is reached. Do those machines you mention list different cycle times? [Aside: It is possible for an engine-pump combination to be so anemic that they don't result in meeting operating pressure.]

True variations in tonnage, therefore, are governed by 1.) the max pressure setting of the relief valve and 2.) the diameter of the cylinder.

Fudged/BS numbers in tonnage are determined in a variety of ways. One way is to advertise the maximum theoretical tonnage the machine can produce, but not the actual operating tonnage produced by the lower relief valve setting that's actually used.

Horsepower ratings have also been fudged for a long time. Hp measured at one rpm often will not be anywhere close to hp measured at another rpm. Did both engine companies measure hp the same way?

With all that being stated, larger hp engines do have an advantage in that generally they don't have to work has hard as smaller engines to do the work needed by the splitter. This can translate in to longer engine life.

Yes, I noticed with the same size engine, the DHT 27 ton splitter is 2.3 seconds faster in cycle time than the 35 ton DHT splitter. So basically, if I understand this correctly, it's like two identical cars in the quarter mile, but with different gear ratios, thus different speeds. Thanks for all the knowledge.

What's odd is that the 27 vs the 28 ton model is $300 in price difference, yet the 28 vs the 35 ton model is only $100 different in price. I guess maybe it's because the 27 model has a smaller engine, vs the two larger models. Then again by your math, none of these have any more power than 29.5 tons based on 3,000 psi. Hmm.

Last edited:
For the money I don't think you can beat the predator 20 ton splitter from harbor freight. I got mine on sale for $650 new. They run sales often.
With the two way wedge you have no issues with cycle time

For the money I don't think you can beat the predator 20 ton splitter from harbor freight. I got mine on sale for $650 new. They run sales often.
With the two way wedge you have no issues with cycle time
Cheapest I see is $699 for those, and that doesn't include shipping, front door service, so I'm basically up to name brand lower end models that have warrantys longer than 90 days.

I have a store on my way to work. They ran an extra $50 coupon on top of that.

Many have stated that cycle time isn't an issue because the splitter works faster than they do. This is true to a point, IMO.

If you are a one man operation, by the time you pick up a log and place it on the beam, the ram will have returned to the position in which it's ready to split another round. If one is splitting and the another is loading wood onto the beam, then a faster cycle time is desired. Even in a one man operation, a splitter can be annoyingly slow.

I have a 35-ton Huskee and, for the most part, have been happy with it. I will say that the 15s cycle time is a bit slower than I'd like. For the money, that's why I like the under 11 second cycle times in the DHT 22- and 28-ton models.

If you are going to be using a 2-way or multi-way wedge, horizontal only splitters with an output table make a more efficient operation.

Even in a one man operation, a splitter can be annoyingly slow.
Yes. And I find this to be true when working up large rounds when you are man handling big heavy stuff, I don't care for waiting around till the log hits the wedge or retracting for another bite.

Reactions: TreePointer
When I rented one last year, I only used it in the vertical position, since these logs were much too heavy and large for me to lift, and way too big for my little 5 ton electric. Using my little 5 ton, I got to the point where I'd put a log behind it to keep it from retracting too far, since most pieces were about the same length, and a lot shorter than the length of the splitters range. Of course, it's powered by a spring while going backwards, and not the ram. Saved loads of time.

I have a speeco splitter. It was originally the 3 point version that you would put on the back of a tractor and use tractor hydraulics. Little did I know, the tractor that I had to use was a piece of junk, and the pump on the tractor was vastly underpowered. I went to TSC and took a bunch of pictures and measurements, and basically made my 3 point splitter into one just like at the store with a motor. I bought a 6.5hp predator engine, a 13.6gpm pump, a bunch of steel, and put it all together. The only difference between mine and a TSC one is a little faster pump. I think instead of a 15 second cycle time, I get maybe 12 or 13 sec??? Anyways, my 22 ton has never been stopped. I live in michigan. I've split lots of knotty elm, oak, ash, etc. I wouldn't get a splitter that didn't go vertical as well. That's the biggest problem with the harbor freight one. I've split some MASSIVE rounds that would take 5 people to pick up and put on a splitter. I'd personally look more at cycle times than the rated tonnage, as a 22 ton machine will split 98% of whatever you will ever need to split.

I have a speeco splitter. It was originally the 3 point version that you would put on the back of a tractor and use tractor hydraulics. Little did I know, the tractor that I had to use was a piece of junk, and the pump on the tractor was vastly underpowered. I went to TSC and took a bunch of pictures and measurements, and basically made my 3 point splitter into one just like at the store with a motor. I bought a 6.5hp predator engine, a 13.6gpm pump, a bunch of steel, and put it all together. The only difference between mine and a TSC one is a little faster pump. I think instead of a 15 second cycle time, I get maybe 12 or 13 sec??? Anyways, my 22 ton has never been stopped. I live in michigan. I've split lots of knotty elm, oak, ash, etc. I wouldn't get a splitter that didn't go vertical as well. That's the biggest problem with the harbor freight one. I've split some MASSIVE rounds that would take 5 people to pick up and put on a splitter. I'd personally look more at cycle times than the rated tonnage, as a 22 ton machine will split 98% of whatever you will ever need to split.

Took a long time for me to find the used splitter I ended up getting a couple years ago, but I usually had no problem finding some 3-pt. ones for sale. Those would make a real good start on a splitter build if a fella had an old axle laying around. A knock-off engine & a pump & you're almost in business.

Yep. That's exactly what I did. I had an old axle laying around. Welded it all together, spray bombed it. Put a cheap Chinese motor on it and good pump. And surprisingly it all worked when I was done. That was the best part haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.