Curious about Clearview stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrfalcon

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2007
Champlain Valley, Vermont
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any knowledge of these Brit-made non-cat stoves? They used to sell them in this country, although they no longer do, but there ought to be a few of them still out there in people's homes. I remember visiting a company showroom with English friends somewhere in Vermont 10 or 15 years ago or so.

My English friends have had several, and what they tell me about the stoves seems pretty amazing. The company's Web site, www.clearviewstoves.com, says they're multi-fuel and designed so they can heat your hot water and/or attach to a boiler for central heating. The site mentions "secondary burn," but I couldn't find a diagram or other specs to see anything about how they're constructed and whether they're similar to ours or a different technology of some kind.

I'd love to know what anybody thinks of these and how they compare to our better stoves. Needless to say, I'm deeply envious of their very small stove that has the kind of extra-long burn time they describe:

"The Clearview, up to temperature
(registering 450 degrees or so at the flue) would burn a
bucket of water, we used to reckon! Seasoned wood was better
of course, but it would do it. And I guess the company
doesn't need the US market, as it is one of very few to be
totally exempted from UK clean air regs - you could install
one in your central London offices if you wanted to, so long
as you kept to seasoned wood and avoided coal.

And even our little one in Ireland burns for ever, pretty
much. Even if around 9.30 or 10pm you don't feed it any more
and just let it die down, it'll still self-ignite more often
than not, from the embers up to maybe 15 hours later - but
it's cased in half-inch thick plus solid metal; that helps
I'm sure."

Status
Not open for further replies.